Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OAfol
Beginner

Intel Edison ROS libraries

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would like to know if the Edison supports ROS libraries as I am trying to use the Edison as an alternative to the arduino to run the scenarios on an Intel Euclid and display the data I read from the Euclid to PuTTY. Also the SoftwareSerial library is not supported on the Edison and I was wondering if there was an alternative to this ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hi Feyiafolabi,

Thanks for reaching out.

Regarding the ROS query, there are some guides to install ROS on the Edison, please take a look at the following links that you may find useful:

I have not installed ROS since it is out of our support scope, however, you can try it and share your results in the community.

Moreover, we would like to let you know that some libraries are written specifically for the Arduino board, and they are based on their MCU architecture and it won't compile on the Edison because the architecture is different. Some libraries can be edited in order to use with the Edison, but in some cases it is not possible. We would like to suggest you to take a look at the following thread:
  • /message/264801# 264801 Additional UART port (SoftwareSerial)? There you will an explanation of the serial ports.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
idata
Community Manager

Hi Feyiafolabi,

Thanks for reaching out.

Regarding the ROS query, there are some guides to install ROS on the Edison, please take a look at the following links that you may find useful:

I have not installed ROS since it is out of our support scope, however, you can try it and share your results in the community.

Moreover, we would like to let you know that some libraries are written specifically for the Arduino board, and they are based on their MCU architecture and it won't compile on the Edison because the architecture is different. Some libraries can be edited in order to use with the Edison, but in some cases it is not possible. We would like to suggest you to take a look at the following thread:
  • /message/264801# 264801 Additional UART port (SoftwareSerial)? There you will an explanation of the serial ports.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

View solution in original post