cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HLeeu
New Contributor I

Intel Edison static IP working connection to Ubiquity rocket M5 in bridge mode

Dear all,

For my project I am working on the Edison with mini breakout powered by battery (7,4V) on J21 and wirelessly (WiFi) connected to the Ubiquity rocket M5 with a powerful antenna.

AM5G16AirMax Sector 5G-16-120: 5 Ghz 16 dBi 120 degrees 2x2 MIMO

I use it to make a very powerful WiFi network which I can use on stage. The antenna is a sector antenna and thus looks explicitly in a certain direction. It also functions in the 5 GHz band which is not very populated...

In my configuration I use it in bridge mode which means that the rocket does not function as a router but directly funnels the signal through to the computer through ethernet. It is like a computer to computer connection.

This makes connecting to it hard with the Edison. I cannot use the standard setup tool since that works with DHCP and the rocket in bridge mode does not hand out IP addresses. So I have to go for the static option.

I had it connected in the past using this post:

I had been lucky then though. Since I had a new Edison to configure I had to follow the steps again...

I followed the lines of the script:

Juiste antwoord door DiegoV_Intel op 9-dec-2015 8:31

Hello DaveFer,

Try with the steps below:

• Connect to wireless network using connman. Run the following commands in the Edison's console:
  1. systemctl start connman
  2. systemctl enable connman
  3. connmanctl
  4. enable wifi
  5. scan wifi
systemctl start connman systemctl enable connman connmanctl enable wifi scan wifi

• Wait for the scan completed message and then run the following command:
  1. services
services

• A list of the available networks will be displayed with the following format:

• Then run the following commands:
  1. agent on
  2. connect
agent on connect

• At this point you will be asked for the passphrase. Enter the network password and then run the following command:
  1. exit
exit

• Now you should be connected to the network. After a successful connection gather the gateway, netmask and broadcast information with the following commands:

For gateway information:

1. netstat -nr
netstat -nr

For netmask and broadcast information:

1. ifconfig wlan0
ifconfig wlan0

>>>>>NOW HERE I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>Since the Rocket does not hand out an ip address I get no ip address, no net mask and no gateway. None the less I went on and did also the next step:

• Now proceed to configure and set the static IP address using the service, gateway and netmask gathered with the following command:
  1. connmanctl config --ipv4 manual
connmanctl config --ipv4 manual

<p style="min-height: 8pt;...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HLeeu
New Contributor I

For some reason the second half of my post is only visible for a second. I copied some html code which is probably the reason.

HLeeu
New Contributor I

Dear all,

Another try at my post...

For my project I am working on the Edison with mini breakout powered by battery (7,4V) on J21 and wirelessly (WiFi) connected to the Ubiquity rocket M5 with a powerful antenna.

AM5G16AirMax Sector 5G-16-120: 5 Ghz 16 dBi 120 degrees 2x2 MIMO

I use it to make a very powerful WiFi network which I can use on stage. The antenna is a sector antenna and thus looks explicitly in a certain direction. It also functions in the 5 GHz band which is not very populated...

In my configuration I use it in bridge mode which means that the rocket does not function as a router but directly funnels the signal through to the computer through ethernet. It is like a computer to computer connection.

This makes connecting to it hard with the Edison. I cannot use the standard setup tool since that works with DHCP and the rocket in bridge mode does not hand out IP addresses. So I have to go for the static option.

I had it connected in the past using this post:

/thread/94270 Configuring Edison for a static IP address ...

I had been lucky then though. Since I had a new Edison to configure I had to follow the steps again...

>>>>>I followed the lines of the script:

Try with the steps below:

• Connect to wireless network using connman. Run the following commands in the Edison's console:
  1. systemctl start connman
  2. systemctl enable connman
  3. connmanctl
  4. enable wifi
  5. scan wifi

• Wait for the scan completed message and then run the following command:
  1. services

• A list of the available networks will be displayed with the following format:

• Then run the following commands:
  1. agent on
  2. connect

• At this point you will be asked for the passphrase. Enter the network password and then run the following command:
  1. exit

• Now you should be connected to the network. After a successful connection gather the gateway, netmask and broadcast information with the following commands:

For gateway information:

1. netstat -nr

For netmask and broadcast information:

1. ifconfig wlan0

>>>>>NOW HERE I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>Since the Rocket does not hand out an ip address I get no ip address, no net mask and no gateway. None the less I went on and did also the next step:

• Now proceed to configure and set the static IP address using the service, gateway and netmask gathered with the following command:
  1. connmanctl config --ipv4 manual

>>>>>although I did not get any information from ifconfig wlan0 I forced the and anyway in the same network as the network that I had chosen for the Rocket - computer ethernet connection. If I subsequently pinged the ip address nothing happened though.

>>>>>I also did the step of creating the /etc/network/interfaces file for which the procedure is in the original post.

>>>>>If I then rebooted the Edison, there was no connection. Repeating the connman procedure would give errors and after the 'services' command service names that had a lot of zero's in them would show up.

>>>>>So I decided to start from scratch. I deleted the /etc/network/interfaces file that I had just created and I also got rid of all the entries in the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file, leaving only this in that file:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

ctrl_interface_group=0

config_methods=virtual_push_button virtual_display push_button keypad

update_config=1

fast_reauth=1

device_name=Edison

manufacturer=Intel

model_name=Edison

>>>>>So I restarted, was ready to start the procedure again but then saw in connmanctl when I asked for 'services' that the Edison seemed to be connected to the Rocket!!!

>>>>>A much bigger present was the fact that after rebooting the Ediso...

idata
Community Manager

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison™ Platform.

I'm glad to know that you fixed your issue by your own! And thanks for sharing your results in such a detailed manner.

Now, regarding an explanation of the strange behavior of Connman. I personally don't have too much experience with Connman, but maybe your questions could be answered by looking through the Connman documentation https://01.org/connman/documentation https://01.org/connman/documentation .

Please let me know if any questions come up, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.