Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GMerc1
Beginner

Intel Edison with Mac OS 10.12? not compatible

I just started to work with an Intel Edison on a new Macbook Pro with Mac OS Sierra (10.12) and I am having a hard time to set-up the board.

I installed everything, FTDI drivers, the Intel Edison driver in the board manager of the Arduino IDE and I flash the firmware. In the serial port I had usbmodem***** and it worked fine.

But now I have dev/cu/usbserial-******** but it doesn't work, and now that I want to flash again the firmware it doesn't work and the set-up software of Intel tells me that Mac OS 10.12 is not compatible with Intel Edison Set-up.

Thank you

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Guillaume,

Thank you for reaching out.

Were you able to use this Edison board in the past? Maybe with a different Mac OS version? Some other users have experienced issues with this distribution, so a compatibility issue might be possible.

You also mention that you have tried to flash it again and that you haven't been able to, which process did you follow? Did you try with the Flashall.sh process?

Also, let us know if you have any other computer where you can test your board. If you have another OS that would be even better.

Regards,

-Pablo
idata
Community Manager

Hi Guillaume,

Do you have updates on this case?

Regards,

Pablo
GMerc1
Beginner

Hi Pablo,

I'll try with another computer, but the point is the computer/laptop that I use is the last Macbook Pro that I buy for work so I can try on another to see what is the problem, but after that I'll be stuck if I can't use my laptop.

I followed all the steps from here : https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-edison-windows https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-edison-windows

for MAC.

I was able one time to use the firmware set-up tool for MAC, the firmware flash was on yellow but not green, I was able to set-up the SSH, new name and password and to set-up the wi-fi on the intel Edison, these were green in the set-up tool. But the next day when I plugged an Arduino shield and some sensors on it to do some test from Seeedstudio than the usb serial has changes and it didn't work.

So I tried to set-up again and no chance.

Thank you for the quick answer.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Guillaume,

Great! I would like to know your results once you try with some other computer, so please keep us posted.

Sometimes, if the board is causing the issue, it can be recovered using a different system and then it will work on other computers too, let's hope this is your case so you can use it with your MacBook.

I would like you to try recovering it using the Flashall method (try with both computers if possible), check the instructions from this link /docs/DOC-25154 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154. Then check if you can connect via Serial to the Edison's console.

Regards,

Pablo

GMerc1
Beginner

Hi Pablo,

Still doesn't and I seriously did everything said on your website, so you missed something or something is missing.

Pretty frustrating.

So I installed FTDI drivers, downloaded the Intel Edison MAC setup, than downloaded and extract the firmware through the Intel MAC setup, than it loaded for like 2-3 minutes and than it ask me to plug the Intel Edison, even it is plugged, one USB to power and the other one to my computer and I try to reverse both cables and still doesn't work.

So is it supposed to work on MAC? And why not on MAC OS X 10.12 are you not up to date?

idata
Community Manager

Hi Guillaume,

Did you were able to try on a different computer? Is this description from your test on a different system?

When you mention this "Still doesn't and I seriously did everything said on your website", are you referring to the Flashall Script method from the link I posted above?

Regards,

-Pablo
idata
Community Manager

Hi Guillaume,

Did you check our last post?

Regards,

Pablo
DVork
Beginner

Hi Pablo,

I am here with the same problem, have a Mac with OSX 10.12 Sierra and it doesn't work. I Installed FTDI drivers and flashed the board but it does not work, I always get the message to Eject, Initialise the drive and that is it. I tried using Intel Edison Board Configuration Tool but that does not recognise the board also. Any pointers?

Cheers,

Dusko

DVork
Beginner

I forgot to mention I managed to flash the board with Flash Tool Light 5.8.3.0 as the board itself was previously flashed with Android Things image and it worked fine. After flashing with latest Intel image, it is not recognised by my computer.

idata
Community Manager

Hi duskox,

Are you able to set a Serial connection? Do you see an entry for your Edison on your Device Manager, under Ports? Before using Android Things, were you able to use the Edison with an Intel image?

Regards,

Pablo M.

wju
Beginner

I encountered the similar problem. I can set a serial connection, and can view the output of the Edison board. It is boot into the Yocto system. But, Intel Platform Flash Tool Lite 5.8.3 can not detect the Edison board on macOS 10.12. The connection of the Edison to the mac is as same as the guide https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-android-things-on-intel-edison-kit-for-arduino Installing Android Things* on Intel® Edison Kit for Arduino* | Intel® Software

is Intel Platform Flash Tool Lite 5.8.3 not compatible to macOS 10.12?

DVork
Beginner

Hi Pablo,

I was able to use and connect to the board with earlier Mac OSX version, and regarding Android Things, it worked well with OSX 10.12 Sierra. But when I flashed it with latest Yocto image, it is not recognised anymore. Intel Platform Flash Tool Lite 5.8.3.0 now can see the board only for a short while and then it disconnects.

Regards,

dusko

idata
Community Manager

Hi guys,

Dusko: It seems really weird that you're seeing the board connected for a short time and then it disconnects. How are you powering the board right now? Make sure that your board is getting enough power, so try using an external power supply and try changing the USB cables/ports as well.

Ju: You mention that you are able to connect to the serial console, right? I'm wondering if your issue has something to do with the parameters for the USB connection that uboot passes to the kernel. This is explained with more detail on this thread /thread/107720 https://communities.intel.com/thread/107720. To summarize, CDC and RNDIS are protocols for devices to communicate and, as stated, in the thread I just shared with you "CDC mode works with Linux and OSX out of the box and won't work with Windows. RNDIS mode works with Windows and Linux out of the box but for OSX".

You can change this using the following commands on your Edison "fw_setenv bootargs_ethconfig rndis" or "fw_setenv bootargs_ethconfig cdc".

I would also like to know if you both are able to test your board on different computers, just to see how it behaves when using a different system.

Hope this helps.

Pablo M.
DVork
Beginner

Hi Pablo,

I have tried both external power supply, usb, both together, still nothing. I am not sure if it has to do something with FTDI drivers as there it is also stated they are only up to Mx OS 10.11. I think,

Regards,

Dusko

wju
Beginner

Hi Pablo M,

I have set the protocol to cdc

root@edison:~# fw_printenv bootargs_ethconfig

bootargs_ethconfig=cdc

but, Intel Platform Flash Tool Lite 5.8.3.0 still can not see the Edison board

BR,

Ju

idata
Community Manager

Hi guys,

My last suggestion would be to test the board in a different computer, ideally with a different OS like Windows or Ubuntu and check if the board is recognized, if you get the board to work there might be a compatibility issue with Sierra and the board. If you still don't get any USB device recognized, there might be a hardware problem with the board, in that case you can open a warranty ticket through this link http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @7, clicl on Intel Development Boards and then on Online Service Request.

Regards,

Pablo M.