Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9873 Discussions

Intel Galileo GEN 2 doesn't boot anymore

Pde_W
Beginner

Hi,

After a power failure yesterday I tried to continue with my project today.

Unfortunately the board doesn't startup anymore.

When I connect the power (with or without an SD card) only the 'ON' LED is continuous green; not other LED's are on or blinking). On my serial PUTTY connection I don't get any messages.

I did some research and tried to do a recovery using an USB stick and the REV2 version of the FVMAIN.fv file.

Finding the correct place on the mainboard to ground was a hard job, but when I ground the golden square left of the label FWR I'm getting the following messages in my putty screen.

The message:

***** Force Recovery Jumper Detected. *****

***** Attempting auto recovery of system flash. *****

***** Expecting USB key with recovery module connected. *****

***** PLEASE REMOVE FORCE RECOVERY JUMPER. *****

I keeps repeating this message... I tried serveral USB sticks and formatted with serveral filesystems (FAT, FAT32 and extFAT).

The only thing that happens is that the USB light on the board is blinking and also my USB stick is blinking (so it's reading something???) and it keeps displaying the message.

What am I doing wrong?

KR,

Pieter

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

UPDATE:

As an update to this post, other troubleshooting steps were involved in this case.

Suggestion to follow sections 10.1 of /docs/DOC-22476 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22476 . .cap and .efi files were created

Listed four methods for flashing a Galileo, all methods were tested except DediProg (not available).

Since all other methods for recovery didn't work, board has suffered from hardware damage.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi pocketware,

Why don't you try using USB 2.0, sometimes using USB 3.0 can give problems. Also, try doing a firmware update to your board, you have to go to the galileo IDE and Help>Galileo Firmware Update. I found a community link that you might find useful /message/259949# 259949 https://communities.intel.com/message/259949 . Look at it and let me know if this works.

Regards

Sergio

Pde_W
Beginner

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for the reply but updating the firmware using the IDE isn't possible because the board doesn't boot and isn't detected by Windows.

KR,

Pieter

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

While following the recovery mode guide /docs/DOC-22897 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22897 , what was the last step you did successfully? Were you able to get to step 11 and is the firmware version the only step missing or step 11 failed as well?

Regards

Sergio

Pde_W
Beginner

Hi,

Hereyby the steps I did to get the board back to live.

1. I took a FVMAIN.fv file from this forum (gen2 version).

2. Connected the Serial cable to the device

3. Placed the FVMAIN.fv file on a USB stick and putted the stick into the USB port on the board.

4. Opened an Putty on my laptop

5. Connected the golden square left of the label FWR with a ground pin on the analog connectors

6. Powered the board

7. Got the following information in my putty screen:

***** Force Recovery Jumper Detected. *****

***** Attempting auto recovery of system flash. *****

***** Expecting USB key with recovery module connected. *****

***** PLEASE REMOVE FORCE RECOVERY JUMPER. *****

8. This message keeps repeating.

All this information was already in my first post.

Please help me getting the device back to live!

The manual you are referring to is written for the first version of the board. So I hope I grounded correct. I think so, because I'm getting the 'Force Recovery Jumper Detected' message.

Answer on your question: until step 9. Only I'm not getting the menu but the message.

Maybe you can give me another FVMAIN.fv for a GEN2 board. I can retry with that file.

At this moment I can't create the file myself.

KR,

Pieter

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Do you have access to a Dediprog?

Regards

Sergio

Pde_W
Beginner

Hi Sergio,

No... I don't have access to a Dediprog.

KR,

Pieter

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

UPDATE:

As an update to this post, other troubleshooting steps were involved in this case.

Suggestion to follow sections 10.1 of /docs/DOC-22476 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22476 . .cap and .efi files were created

Listed four methods for flashing a Galileo, all methods were tested except DediProg (not available).

Since all other methods for recovery didn't work, board has suffered from hardware damage.

Hakan
Beginner

I need FVMAIN.fv for gen2 desperatly

Hakan
Beginner

The page you are trying to access was not found. Please check your URL for typos and try again.