Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GWill11
Novice

Intel Galileo Gen 2 with no Serial connection and SD Card problem.

Hi all,

I'm with some Galileo Gen 2 boards, and I'm having some problems to interact with them. First of all, I couldn't establish a Serial terminal connection with two of the boards I tried, where I saw what was in , but no success. In Ubuntu, when I type "picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyACM0", it responds with "Terminal ready", but the cursor is still and I can't type anything or send any commands. When I upload a sketch via the Arduino IDE which outputs to Serial, if I picocom again to the board I see the output on either Terminal or Serial Monitor. Anyway, in order to try to have command-line access to the board, I made a simple sketch to telnet to it:

void setup() {

system("ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up");

system("telnetd -l /bin/sh");

system("ifconfig > /dev/ttyGS0");

}

void loop() {}

In this setup, using an Ethernet cable I am able to telnet and send commands to it. Although this seems as a partial solution, I found it weird to have this different behavior from what is described on the guide in two boards.

The next thing, though, happens to be I want to use a Wifi card on the board, and thus I need to use an SD card Linux Image. When I put any of the images(either the basic SD image or IoT image) on the card, the board behaves very weirdly. When I turn the board on with the SD card connected and I connect it to my computer through the USB cable, on the first time my computer recognized the ttyACM0 device, as the Arduino IDE did. When I tried to upload the same sketch from above, I got a timeout error in the Arduino IDE. Thus, I'm not able to access the terminal when I connect an SD card to the boards.

These issues occurred on two brand new boards. I have other 8 also brand new, but just in case the problem is my PC I'm asking you guys first. Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

It is very strange that this behavior only appears on two of your boards. This might be related to those boards' firmware; did you make sure to update the firmware on all boards? If you haven't, I suggest you to do it; you can use the Firmware Updater Tool that can be found alongside a guide on how to use it in https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/galileo/downloads IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone.

That being said, I should mention that if you want to connect to the Galileo's Linux terminal, the best option is to use a http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/CS-035124.htm Console Serial Cables.

Since you are having issues using the Galileo's image, then I suggest you to download it again and use this guide: http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/CS-035033.htm SD Card Setup and Sketch Persistent to set it up.

Peter.

GWill11
Novice

Thanks for the response.

The only things I have in hand are a micro-USB cable and an Ethernet cable, but I will acquire a FTDI cable in the future. I have re-downloaded the SD Card Image, but when I load the SD card in the board, it doesn't appear as ttyACM0 or anything else, although "lsusb" shows that an Intel device was plugged in.

Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

Did you make sure to update the board's firmware? If so, did anything change? Or is it behaving just like before?

Peter.

GWill11
Novice

I updated the software the way the Getting Started Guide explained. Still, no success. I think that overall the Galileo Gen 2 board must have no way of Serial terminal connection through the microUSB cable, something which surprises me in comparison to the Edison boards.

I changed microSD cards brand, from a 16GB to a 1GB of other brand, and the IoT image worked. Since I had no telnet connection response even though the board booted with the IoT image, I attempted to ssh into it. And for my surprise, apparently the IoT image has no telnet daemon, or even no telnet at all. Anyway, I'm now with the ssh - Ethernet cable - Galileo setup, until I buy a FTDI breakout board.

Thanks.