cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MNiza
Beginner

Intel Galileo USB client not detected when booting from SD Card

Jump to solution

I'm trying to upload a sketch persistently, so I tried the "boot from SD card" instructions here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-galileo-linux-step1 IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software

I don't have a 3.5mm UART to serial and serial to USB cable, so I'm trying to connect the board to my PC with the USB client on the board.

When the board booted from the board's internal flash, the PC can connect to the USB without problems. But, when the board booted from the SD card, the PC cannot detect the USB device. The PC runs Ubuntu 14.04.

lsusb when the board boots without SD card:

$ lsusb

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:5775 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. HP "Truevision HD" laptop camera

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 005 Device 020: ID 8086:babe Intel Corp.

Bus 005 Device 012: ID 046d:c077 Logitech, Inc. M105 Optical Mouse

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lsusb when the board boots from SD card:

$ lsusb

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:5775 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. HP "Truevision HD" laptop camera

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 005 Device 012: ID 046d:c077 Logitech, Inc. M105 Optical Mouse

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

HI muhammadnizami,

I think the problem is related (or maybe with the same reason) to that reported at Basically, the eglibc based yocto image is not stable on executing stored sketches. You can try:

a) Download another yoct image, the so called uclibc at https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/sdcard.1.0.8.tar.bz2 (link provided in another thread: )

b) As in the steps you have followed for the non-working image: "Right-click the .bz2 file and select Extract here to start the extraction process."

c) As in the steps you have followed for the non-working image: "Format your card" (remember: FAT format)

d) Copy the extracted files in step b) to the SD (do not use df, use cp)

e) Boot with the SD

f) Upload the sketch

Please tell us if this works (it works for me, multiple times/apps, no failures so far)

HTH,

Fernando.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

HI muhammadnizami,

I think the problem is related (or maybe with the same reason) to that reported at Basically, the eglibc based yocto image is not stable on executing stored sketches. You can try:

a) Download another yoct image, the so called uclibc at https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/sdcard.1.0.8.tar.bz2 (link provided in another thread: )

b) As in the steps you have followed for the non-working image: "Right-click the .bz2 file and select Extract here to start the extraction process."

c) As in the steps you have followed for the non-working image: "Format your card" (remember: FAT format)

d) Copy the extracted files in step b) to the SD (do not use df, use cp)

e) Boot with the SD

f) Upload the sketch

Please tell us if this works (it works for me, multiple times/apps, no failures so far)

HTH,

Fernando.

View solution in original post

MNiza
Beginner

It works well, the USB is now detected, and the sketch is persistent.

I get this behavior though:

After rebooting or power off then on, the persistent sketch doesn't run when USB is connected. when the USB is disconnected, the sketch runs.

Is this normal?
FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

muhammadnizami wrote:

It works well, the USB is now detected, and the sketch is persistent.

I get this behavior though:

After rebooting or power off then on, the persistent sketch doesn't run when USB is connected. when the USB is disconnected, the sketch runs.

Is this normal?

I've not experimented specifically this... but if this is the case, then I think it's an error or, at least, an unexpected behavior. I'll try to experiment a little bit further and let you know if I find something interesting.

It's good to know now at least the sketch is persistent and everything works when the USB cable is not plugged in, though.

BTW: Does your sketch have any specific behavior or it is a simple example just as the blink sketch?

Fernando.