Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EBabc
Beginner

Intel Joule interface voltages (UART, I2C, GPIO)

I cannot figure out what voltage levels the various communication interfaces can accept on the logic lines on the Intel Joule 570x. I see that in general that there are 1.8V, 3.3V, and 5V buses, but I can't find anywhere in the documentation specifying what voltages the various interfaces can tolerate. I need to know if I will need a level shifter to communicate with my device. I have checked the documentation for both the Joule module and the expansion board, but I can't seem to find this information.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello eab,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Joule™ Products.

I understand that you are interested in knowing the respective operation voltages of each of the interfaces.

In the Intel® Joule™ Module – Datasheet (http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/joule-products/intel-joule-module-datasheet... http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/joule-products/intel-joule-module-datasheet...) you can see the following statement:

All I/O signals are 1.8V with the exception of USB and PCIe which adhere to their respective standards.

That document also mentions that the maximum electrical specifications are: 1.89 V and 300 mA.

Also, if you check the Intel® Joule™ Expansion Board – Design Guide (http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/joule-products/intel-joule-expansion-board-... http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/joule-products/intel-joule-expansion-board-...) you can see the following information that confirms the previous statement:

Unless otherwise noted, all I/O signals operate at 1.8 VDC (with the exception of industry standard buses and protocols) each which must operate within their defining specifications parameters.

All module GPIO lines function at 1.8 V levels. Intel® Joule™ expansion board provides appropriate level transition, signal conditioning, and protection for devices on-or devices connected to-the expansion board.

Please let me know if the previous information answers your question.

Regards,

Andres V.
EBabc
Beginner

OK, that all makes sense to me until the very end there when you say:

Intel® Joule™ expansion board provides appropriate level transition, signal conditioning, and protection for devices on-or devices connected to-the expansion board.

Does that mean that the expansion board does level shifting for the I/O lines? I understand now that the Joule Module itself uses 1.8V for all I/O, but if I am using the expansion board can I provide other voltages, or should I provide my own level shifter to go from a 3.3V or 5V logic line down to 1.8?

Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hello ead,

Sorry for the confusion the previous post may have generated. Let me rephrase the information previously cited:

All I/O signals from the compute module are 1.8 V (with the exception of USB and PCIe).

On the other hand, all I/O signals from the expansion board are 3.3 V (and 5 V tolerant), thanks to the level transition, signal conditioning, and protection for devices.

I hope that answers your question, please let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Andres V.
EBabc
Beginner

Great, thanks!

YDesv
Beginner

Hello !

I don't understand very well... I have the expansion board too (installed with Intel module 570x, and Windows IoT), and i would like to know how to configure the board to have 3,3V for GPIO as ouput....

It's possible ???

Thanks for you time !

idata
Community Manager

Hello yoavdes,

As I mentioned before in this post, all I/O signals (keep in mind that GPIO stands for general-purpose input/output) from the expansion board are 3.3 V (by default). So you don't have to perform any additional configuration.

If you have any other question, don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.