Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisB_Intel

Intel(R) Edison Website Feedback.

We are interested any in and all feedback you have on our support website and or the community.

Updated 7/21/2015

Thank you all for your feedback thus far. Please know that even if I haven't replied to every post I am reading all of them. There are many of your suggestions that we are currently working on and hope to make some headway soon. There are other suggestions that are unfortunately outside of my control and nothing we can change. The point system for example is a community wide feature and nothing something we can disable. The "remember me" options is controlled by corporate security settings, we are trying to get it address for the community, but thus far have made no progress. I hope to have more information on the other features and suggestions in the near future.

Thanks again for the feedback and please keep it coming.

Chris
42 Replies
JVolt
Novice

Some time ago I suggested a wiki site devoted to the Edison. It would also be nice to have a subversion or git repository for all of the available source code instead of having to download and sort through a bunch of zip files that will always end up being out of date. And last, but not least, a bugzilla bug reporting site would also be a great addition.

LThom13
New Contributor II

While working on porting OpenWrt to Intel Edison, I did put up a MediaWiki site dedicated to my notes regarding Edison. If anybody else want to use that you are welcome. And I would have loved if a Git repository of the kernel patches had been publicly available. That would have speed up the process a lot.

LThom13
New Contributor II

I did post a few other messages on this topic and they were the important ones, but since you _are_ asking about feedback, I must admit that personally I find the whole point/level system a bit - ahem - how should I put this - childish or silly perhaps. Admittedly I am an old fart and I generally don't bother with social network sites much, so I find the whole thing a little bit silly.

I think the point here is, when I read a reply it is mostly quite easy to determine if the author know what he is talking about or not. I don't need a rating to determine that. Also, I have seen a few examples of Intel "accounts" marking each other as correct answer, while the answer _clearly_ was not correct and I think that is a good example of why the feedback system is silly.

I have also seen quite a number of Intel originated replies stating: "we will need to investigate further" and then no updates ever and that just leaves a "spend less time on your site and more time investigating the real issues" feeling in me.

What I am here for is hardcore technical information/reference data/hints/pointers and exchange of experience and anything other than that just distracts from what is important.

And my apologies if any of this sounded harsh. I would guess that you are responsible for the site only and just want feedback on that so you can do a better job, and that is greatly appreciated. And to me the site itself is working quite OK

JVolt
Novice

I couldn't have said it better myself.

NAlex4
Novice

Yes, I also have noticed that my posts seem to be going into a moderation queue now. This is not really particularly helpful on a technical forum - it's an unnecessary waiting time added to the time already needed to problem solve.

RHett
New Contributor I

Y'all can add all the getting started tutorials to the 'browse' section under new category, so it can be easy to locate stuff.

Users can create instructables like articles, and the best of them are listed under the menu bar.

It would be great if we can make this edison community as a centralised way of learning, sharing & resolving issues.

(there are many duplicates about common problems with edison, if you search wifi edison problems there are loads of articles, but after reading I couldn't figure out how can I resolve the issue..

when you visit an article the correct answer is displayed, but sometimes its just a small text which doesn't mean anything.. so we need to go through all the replies of the post)

Thanks,

Ramith

AMarc
New Contributor I

I think a good idea may be a sticky message with direct links to the current firmware and documentation.

EPhil
New Contributor I

* Is there no pinning? Things like latest firmware release need to be highlighted and linked to the actual release and have the release notes in the post for discussion.

* Other aspects of the community are entirely too feature-ful. The Activity feed is nothing but posts on topics I do not care about. I'm only working with Edison, I don't care that someone is posting in some other forum that their motherboard is stuck on POST.

* Mentioned by many that there's no sort of known issues repository just oral history. For example /message/299890# 299890 GP111 essentially unusable. I find that most of my contributions are just telling people how to setup and probe I2C6 on the mini breakout board.

* Corporate style password change policies and a failing "remember me" make every visit start off as a poor experience.

* Most people seem to be either working with the Mini Breakout Board or the Arduino Breakout Board. Because the the muxing on the Arduino board, answers to questions about it can be very confusing if you're working with the Mini. Maybe a way to prominently flag your post with which hardware it applies to.

* Tips and tricks forum with pinned useful posts: what level shifter do I need? how do I install linux programs not included in the image?

Thank you everyone who has helped me out.

TLong3
Novice

Not sure why you have Jive Software documentation link in the Account options (Jive Help) - generally this is only for system admin users.

docs.jivesoftware.com/jive/7.0/community_user/index.jsp

KRoed1
New Contributor I

Chris,

I have had to step away from the Intel Edison part of the project to tend to some back-end matters. I'm going to dive back-in now. Hopefully, the break has given Intel some time to resolve some issues that are important to us.

--Konrad
ChrisB_Intel

We are constantly making improvements, hopefully you can find what you need, if not please open up a thread and we will see what we can do.

Thanks

Chris

ICust73
Beginner

Regarding "Edison Website"

It would be really nice to have a proper information base where Intel Edison related updates are listed.

For example, downloading Edison image (page) is just too darn messy. At one point there is ww18 available and suddenly appears ww25 which seems to have issues... BLE not working properly, reboot ota not working, configure_edison has changes...

None of those are listed in any documentations. Maybe ive missed changeset ?

Also, instead of publishing information in PDF, there really should be a alternative way as simple web-page.

But overall, yeah, a decent and proper page of ALL Edison related info gathered on one place.

Oh, oh... one more thing, for example, ww25 just bugs out bad for me... try to find ww18 download instead, it took me almost 20min to track it down.

MGilm
New Contributor I

It's difficult to put my finger precisely on the specifics, but I find this site, overall, to be very confusing to navigate. Looking for the right tools (SDK, etc. for the Edison, in my case) I find myself going in circles, or finding competing or incomplete links for these products. If I fail to bookmark a page it's a chore to find it again.

To fire up a new Edison board, my experience was like this: Do I download the "Integrated Installer"? I did, but it doesn't give me Eclipse. Eclipse requires a separate download and Java, but which version? Often have to run the tools outside of network awareness, yet when I run some of these tools, they try to find a broadband connection.

I know there's a lot of info here, and that in itself makes it hard to organize, but I suspect this website grew somewhat organically over time, and perhaps needs a makeover,

KEckh
Valued Contributor III

I know this is a NIT, but one thing catches my eye everyday as I login....

The screens say click here to login... But the page you go to says "sign in"

bweve
New Contributor I

I seem to have to sign in a lot.

Most of the times I sign in, I'm told it doesn't have my country, or the email has been verified.

I've been asked several times now for either a country or an email address.

I've also seen the reply window be super-slow, like worse than a 300baud modem once.

Why not just use an off the shelf forum system?

MGilm
New Contributor I

dethSwatch

>> I seem to have to sign in a lot.

Reading your post, I seem to recall having to do that when I first signed up here as a user. (It has since stopped) It seemed, at the time anyway, that maybe I was visiting somewhat different parts of the site (communities, documents, etc.) and those areas did not recognize my having been to other parts of the site. Eventually, I was recognized everywhere. I was about to gripe about it when it all stopped.

>>Why not just use an off the shelf forum system?

Clearly, these forums give Intel special functionality (recognition/badges & stuff) that they're unlikely to get in any off-the-shelf product.

bweve
New Contributor I

> I was visiting somewhat different parts of the site

I -think- that's unlikely to be the case here since I was going to look at replies to my posts, but possibly.

RHath
Beginner

Chrisintel:

It would be nice if the boot up process with U-Boot were replaced with a real bios like real x86 PC's have.

The U-Boot process limits what can be done with the Edison and makes things more complicated than necessary.

Russ

MGilm
New Contributor I

Russ,

You might be better served to go to the correct community with your suggestion (though I don't know what that'd be)

You brought up an issue with a product, not with the website. This forum seems to be for the website itself (and the forums specifically) so you might not get proper attention.

Mike

MGilm
New Contributor I

I started composing a reply, and tried to paste in something and screwed it up. So I used the Windows standard operation of CTRL-Z to undo, and my entire composition disappeared, never to be seen again.

That was not expected and quite irritating!

-Mike

PWoof
New Contributor I

You need to make the site more easily found from the main intel site. I had to look through dozens of links before I found the forum.

Why not http://intel.com/edison/forum http://intel.com/edison/forum as the direct link? Why redirect me to the product pages? I typed /edison/forum with the intention of getting to the forum.