Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel compute Stick Stk1aw32sc weird Fan Noise

Jump to solution

Hi,

My Intel compute Stick Stk1aw32sc is quite silent while working on Internet or normal load (Word, Excel). As soon as the CPU goes to a high Utilization (e.g. 70%+) then there is a weird noise coming from the fan like a mild rattle (Similar to the normal noise from a hard Drive with spinning disks when reading/writing data). Now, it doesn't seem to be the fan as when I go to YouTube and the noise is happening and suddenly I pause the video, the noise disappears straight away and I can still hear the light noise of the fan whirl.

The noise is only audible when you are quite close to the unit.

Is this normal? Has anyone noticed this in your Compute Stick?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hello All,

I just got confirmation that the fan noise is normal and that the high frequency noise when CPU utilization increases is generated due to the small blade size.

This is the expected behavior but please let me know if you are still concerned about that.

Regards,

Ronny G

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello elchecoima:

I just wanted to let you know that currently this issue is under investigation, and we are trying to find a possible fix for this problem.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I was just about to ask about this strange fan noise. Here is what I have determined. I have a wireless mouse attached to the USB2.0 port and am using the HDMI extender to a Haier 22" 768p TV. When the fan is either not spinning or on low speed, I don't get the noise. However when the fan is spinning fast, it seems that when moving items on the screen, it causes this "hard drive seek" like noise. This noise is indeed separate from the normal fan spinning sound, and is heard only very close to the Compute Stick. I tried muting the TV to determine if it was coming from HDMI audio, but that didn't stop the noise. Then I tried to determine if it was the wireless mouse, but even when I just had the Win10 start menu opened with Live Tiles moving slightly, and not moving, scrolling or clicking the mouse, I got this noise. If I am experiencing the noise while the fan is spinning, and then the fan slows, the strange noise stops. I am running the latest BIOS (0024), and have the power hooked up with the AC adapter.

To me, it seems like some interference with the HDMI signal and the fan? In the past, I have experienced something like this on a desktop, where when moving the mouse would cause a buzzing in the sound output.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Do you know what date was your compute stick manufactured?.. mine was on the 16 May 2016.

I wonder if this is a manufacture issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes, mine is 12 May 2016, made in China.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Everyone,

I work for Intel Customer Support and this behavior is normal, all units we have around behave the same way however I am checking if there is any workaround or recommendation to alleviate this noise.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello All,

I just got confirmation that the fan noise is normal and that the high frequency noise when CPU utilization increases is generated due to the small blade size.

This is the expected behavior but please let me know if you are still concerned about that.

Regards,

Ronny G

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello:

Thank you very much to rguevara for the information posted previously.

To elchecoima:

I just wanted to confirm the information above, and also verify if you need any further assistance in regards to this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the detail guys.

I Guess the noise is still odd.. but it is barely noticeable and i haven't had any issues withe the stick

Thanks Again

Elchecoima

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello elchecoima:

Thank you very much for that information, it is good to hear that the sound is barely noticeable, and that there is no other issue with the stick.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello. I also have same problem with newer Compute Sticks. The older ones (2+ years and older) are totally silent, new ones (1- years) are noisy all the time - also on only Windows running at desktop without any app running. Any solution?

Marcel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

You should start a new thread. This thread is four years old.

Doc

0 Kudos