Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Intel compute stick STK1AW32SC blue led on but no display

After months of leaving my stick for rest, I decided to use it today to watch some movies by connecting it to my TV. Since I haven't powered on it for some time, there are some auto Windows 10 updates running in the background. And at the same time I think it would be good I update the stick to the latest BIOS and drivers. Nightmare came after I started express BIOS installation of version 0040 BIOS. At the end of the express install, it prompted me to restart. When I click restart, there was no display after boot up, blue LED is still on.

After multiple attempts to force shut down and restart, no sign of display through anything, neither my TV or my monitor. Can't believe this is the 2nd stick got bricked by itself (first one was 1st gen stick STCK1A32WFC). And it is already over a year since I bought this device. There was a staff for my previous stick issue who seemed helpful to check on my issue, only to tell me in the end my warranty has ended there was nothing much they can do about this.

This is ridiculous coming from a giant corp, no wonder they can't capture any mobile and IOT market, they can't even get the compute stick issue free.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

So, you decided to update the bios while months of updates were downloading and installing? I know it is probably not written down anywhere, but I would never attempt to do both of those tasks simultaneously.

I have a 1st gen stick as well, from around Feb 2015 (that is more than 3 years ago). It has literally traveled more than 100K miles, while at the mercy of the baggage handlers of that friendly skies airline, using AC from 110 to 220 and both 60 and 50 hrz on that little power supply, and the thing works as good today as the day I received it.

Yeah, when the warranty is up, the warranty is up. But, it would be awfully difficult for me to fault that giant corp for what seems like a user induced error.

Just my opinion, and I am not an employee of that giant corp.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I value your opinion and yes, I could have the stick to work forever if I never touch any updates like a saying 'do not fix something that is not broken' but hey, intel is putting a computer OS into this stick so I should be able to enjoy any update. But most occasions it seems like intel sticks don't get along pretty well with Microsoft Windows OS. The fact that this product does not have any fail safe design to prevent the stick being bricked shows how much quality in their innovation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Ok, but the bios update was not forced on you. That was 100% voluntary.

As I said, my stick gets along fine, with bios updates and with Windows. I find it a very nice and useful device.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Right. I guess I have spent enough for 2 sticks as my hobbyist devices. Now I pray hard my NUC7 will not fail me, I better not bother with Intel BIOS updates.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

jacksw: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Communities Team.

Please follow the steps provided on the following link and share with us the results: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000016715/mini-pcs/intel-compute-sticks.htm... https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000016715/mini-pcs/intel-compute-sticks.htm...

Antony S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for replying. I'm pretty sure my stick went dead with blue led on but no display output. Here are the SA# and serial number:

SA# : H93326 102

S/N: GESC63900FBE

Let me know whether it can be RMA'ed. Otherwise, thanks for your time.

Jack

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you very much for your reply and the information provided, jacksw.

I sent you a private message, please verify your inbox.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

i having same problem, i just turn on my compute stick for less then an hour, broswer some youtube and website, and after restart the pc, it not longer got the display, and i still manage to see it is connect to my router, and able to response when i try to ping it, so any solution for this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Look like is the monitor problem, when i connect to a monitor without a speaker, it working fine, but when connect to TV, it intermittent not working.

0 Kudos