cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RGun
Beginner

Intel edison in host mode

Jump to solution

I am trying to make a simple board like the mini breakout board. But I am confused on the USB part, can somebody please explain this to me. I had look at some existing schematics. In which they use OTG functionality but I only want to use the edison as a host(I will be connecting a USB camera to the edison). Can I simply connect the USB_DM and USB_DP accordingly and connect the power to camera externally using a 5V battery?. Also I have to ground the ID pin?.

Thank you for any help,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hi helloworldterabyte,

Thank you for contacting us.

We looked at the details of your case, including the schematics and have a few suggestions. When trying to connect a USB device to a port, which signals belong to a micro USB, the major considerations are the voltage supplied and the ID pin. The USB device needs to be properly supplied with voltage. Using an external power supply as you mention should work.

Now, in regards to the ID pin, and looking online on different connection diagrams on how to make a connection such as the one you intend to do, connecting the ID pin to GND seems to be the correct way to connect the pin.

Let us know if you find this helpful.

-Sergio A

View solution in original post

3 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi helloworldterabyte,

Thank you for contacting us.

We looked at the details of your case, including the schematics and have a few suggestions. When trying to connect a USB device to a port, which signals belong to a micro USB, the major considerations are the voltage supplied and the ID pin. The USB device needs to be properly supplied with voltage. Using an external power supply as you mention should work.

Now, in regards to the ID pin, and looking online on different connection diagrams on how to make a connection such as the one you intend to do, connecting the ID pin to GND seems to be the correct way to connect the pin.

Let us know if you find this helpful.

-Sergio A

View solution in original post

RGun
Beginner

Thank you very much

idata
Community Manager

You're welcome @helloworldterabyte. Don't hesitate to contact us again if help is needed.

Regards,

-Sergio A