Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sk23
New Contributor II

Inter-process communication over Edision

Jump to solution
/message/290118# 290118 Inter-process communication over Edision

How inter process communication can be implemented into the Edison applications . In Linux , we have different methodologies for IPC like pipes , shared memory , FIFO's , socket .

Does Edison support all these mechanisms ?? and how we can use them ?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
idata
Community Manager

Hi IoT_srinivas,

Edison runs Yocto, which is a Linux system. Have you tried running these methodologies in Edison already?

Additionally, I recommend you to check the following guide that shows how to communicate Arduino sketches and Linux native processes, I think that guide explains what you are asking for: https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/09/22/efficient-communication-between-arduino-and-linux-...

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi IoT_srinivas,

Edison runs Yocto, which is a Linux system. Have you tried running these methodologies in Edison already?

Additionally, I recommend you to check the following guide that shows how to communicate Arduino sketches and Linux native processes, I think that guide explains what you are asking for: https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/09/22/efficient-communication-between-arduino-and-linux-...

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

sk23
New Contributor II

Hi ,

I want to know Device to Device(Edison) communication .

Could you please let me know the details.

idata
Community Manager

Hi IoT_srinivas,

Could you please explain what you want to do exactly? If I understood you well, you want to communicate external devices with the Edison board, right? If so, you could use the interfaces Edison has such as I2C, SPI or UART.

Regards,

-Diego
sk23
New Contributor II

Hi ,

I want to communicate two Intel devices over internet.

My idea is Device 1 sensor data need to communicate to Device 2 and vice versa.

Is it possible or Not ?If yes please provide the details.

idata
Community Manager

Hi IoT_srinivas,

If this is the case, I recommend you to check the following document, in section 6: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005916.html. It explains how to establish a Wi-Fi connection between two Edisons using Wi-Fi direct.

I hope you find it useful.

Regards,

-Diego
sk23
New Contributor II

intel_corp

Hi Diego ,

Wi-Fi Direct includes an easier way to automatically discover nearby devices and connect to them ,But I want to communicate two far network over internet.

Is there any way to communicate two Edison devices with different network.

idata
Community Manager

Hi IoT_srinivas,

Unfortunately that's not possible. You must have the two Edison modules in the same network so they can communicate to each other.

The only way I know you could try to use to communicate two devices in different networks is through port-forwarding. The following guide discusses the port-forwarding topic in more detail. The guide is for an Arduino project, but the important part is the one regarding port-forwarding: http://www.instructables.com/id/Accessing-Arduino-over-internet/step7/Port-forwarding-your-router/. I haven't tested it, but you could give it a try and see if that works for your project.

Regards,

-Diego
idata
Community Manager

> Unfortunately that's not possible. You must have the two Edison modules in the same network so they can communicate to each other

I have no idea what you meant to communicate here, but it's certainly *possible* since -- as you mentioned previously -- they run Linux and have a complete TCP/IP over WiFi stack built-in.

So, assuming both devices are on WiFi, they can absolutely communicate with each other.

Discovering one another is the "tricky" part, but DNS was designed for it.

Alternatively, both could communicate to a services such as AWS to and use SNS/SQS to pass messages between themselves.

RRobe17
New Contributor I

So many different ways to do this. The correct solution can be dependent on exactly what you are wanting to do. It sounds like you want to do some type of tcp ip over internet. Seeing that tis device has a plethora of languages you can select from.

For example, I am doing something similar and I am using TCPIP utilizing NODE JS as the programming language.