Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RJone6
Beginner

Is it Possible to Make a Directional iBeacon with Edison?

Hi All,

I am trying to determine if someone is moving closer to the beacon from a specific side of the wall. Does anyone know of a way to add a directional antenna to the Edison board and/or be able to point it in a specific direction only taking distance for ~180% vs 360%.

Thank you,

Ryan

3 Replies
Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Ryan,

I've been searching for a way to determine the exact position of the iBeacon but I haven't found an easy/fast way to do this, also there could be some problems due to the RSSI inconsistency and the circular patterns that the antennas have.

The antenna will give you an estimated distance according to the RSSI of the device (the RSSI level consistency may lead to another problem) if you know the radiation pattern of it.

An approach for your project could be to use 3 antennas, the three of them will give an estimated distance and by knowing the exact position of the antennas you could calculate the distance and position of the device.

http://everything2.com/title/Triangulate Triangulate - Everything2.com

Regards,

Charlie

RJone6
Beginner

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for the reply. It isn't exact location/distance that we are looking for but more what side of something they are on. I am hoping there is something either to shield one side or a directional antenna for beacons but haven't been able to find anything out there.

Best,

Ryan

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Ryan,

I would like to know if you have found another approach for this.

As I said, if you know the radiation pattern of the antenna you can start doing some analyses of the signals to discover from where the beacons are coming.

Regards,

Charlie