Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Is it possible to deploy an image to a Compute Stick?

Hi All,

I have a batch of Compute Sticks that I would like to apply certain Windows settings and software to.

For "normal" PCs, I've had success using Clonezilla, however, the Compute Sticks do not seem to like this. I'm not certain if it is related to the Windows Key being embedded in the BIOS.

It takes a good hour to apply all the settings and install the necessary applications for each device, so it's not feasible for me to do this manually for each device.

Any suggestions as far as settings to use in Clonezilla, or an alternative imaging solution (preferrably free), would be most appreciated!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

While I don't know about an imaging solutions for Windows, I have been testing both SALT and CHEF remote configuration on both Windows and Ubuntu Compute Sticks. Both are free.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello KimP,

Let perform an investigation about this, as soon as I have an answer I will be updating this thread.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks for your info there, John. I'll investigate these options.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello KimP,

We're still investigating this matter, thank you for your patience, as soon as we have an answer I will be updating this thread.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi KimP,

Are you looking to deploy a different Operating System on the Intel Compute Stick? If that is the case I would encourage the community here to collaborate with previous experiences as running the unit with a different Operating System than the one loaded at the factory implies running it outside Intel specifications.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi there,

I'm only using the existing Windows 8.1 with Bing OS. The customisations are entirely in the form of additional software applications and settings to both those applications and Windows itself - no hacks, just standard settings changes.

I am just after a way to create many identically configured systems that use different Windows Keys.

On a standard PC, I configure a single system (without activating Windows), then capture an image of that system. I'm then able to deploy that image to multiple other systems (with the same system hardware) and one imaged, I then need to manually activate Windows on each machine using their own individual Product Key.

My problem occurs when I attempt to perform this process on Compute Sticks. I believe it may be related to the Windows Key being embedded in the BIOS somehow. When I restore my image to a different Compute Stick, the Windows installation appears to be damaged and will not boot. I have attempted this a few times but found it necessary to use the restore partition in all cases when Windows failed to boot properly.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Amy,

I hope you had an enjoyable and relaxing break.

I was wondering if there had been any further developments regarding me enquiry regarding an imaging solution for Compute Sticks.

Cheers,

Kim.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello, KimP:

According to the engineering the department this type of procedure is not supported for the Intel® Compute Stick. Let's hope that other users can join this thread and add more details about this matter.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

We do this. I've imaged sticks using the Microsoft imageX application to build a WIM file and then apply that WIM to subsequent sticks. It's not a zero touch process, and still takes about 20 minutes or so to run the process. Although it's only about 2 or 3 minutes of actual keyboard time. Initially I built a WIM on the Win8 w/ Bing, later we migrated to Win8.1 Enterprise, and we are now imaging the sticks with Win10 Enterprise. If you're going to manage these devices in an SCCM environment (which is what we do), once you have them in that environment you can build a collection and later do a zero-touch deployment to cause the devices to download a new WIM, reboot, and reimage themselves. However, for the sake of getting the devices identical with as much efficiency as possible, you can still use the imageX process to capture and then apply a disk image. The final steps after you apply the image would be renaming the device and join it to the domain (if this is needed).

Isaac

Highlighted
Beginner

Isaac, I'm looking to do something similar to what you described. Would you be able to provide more details on how you captured the .wim and then how you deployed the .wim on the Intel Compute Sticks?

Thanks!

Kenny

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@idata Have you been able to capture image of compute stick using Config Manager capture tools for Windows 10 OS? What about the new method of using DISM? Are there any special configurations required to capture the image? 

0 Kudos