Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PÖnge
Beginner

Is it possible to embed a map or Android into Intel Galileo board for navigation purposes?

Jump to solution

I have an Intel Galileo board and I am trying to try things and explore the device. I want to use this device to create a navigation system. I need gps and maps.What i wonder is that is it possible to embed a map in Galileo? Another question is that can Android be used as an operating system in Galileo ? If this is possible, can I use Google maps?

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you very much.

1 Solution
Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hello pelinongel,

There is no documentation on how to port an alternative OS to the Intel Galileo board. First, I suggest you to look for the Android hardware specifications to know if those can be met by the hardware of the board. Additionally keep in mind that x86 compatibility wasn't supported in older Android versions so you have to check for x86 compatibility as well.

Regarding on how to embed a map in Intel Galileo, I'm not aware of any software for that. I suggest you to look for Linux alternatives that work for the kernel version of your OS. About GPS, I suggest you to check the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-035257.htm Shield Testing Report for Intel Galileo Board in there are some options you could consider. I hope this helps

Regards,

JPMontero_Intel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hello pelinongel,

There is no documentation on how to port an alternative OS to the Intel Galileo board. First, I suggest you to look for the Android hardware specifications to know if those can be met by the hardware of the board. Additionally keep in mind that x86 compatibility wasn't supported in older Android versions so you have to check for x86 compatibility as well.

Regarding on how to embed a map in Intel Galileo, I'm not aware of any software for that. I suggest you to look for Linux alternatives that work for the kernel version of your OS. About GPS, I suggest you to check the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-035257.htm Shield Testing Report for Intel Galileo Board in there are some options you could consider. I hope this helps

Regards,

JPMontero_Intel

View solution in original post

PÖnge
Beginner

Thank you very much for your answer. I found linux based open source operating system published by TOMTOM. Can i use a sd card as hard disk and install this software into the Galileo?

Regards,

pelinongel

Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi pelinongel,

The Intel Galileo board comes with a spi-image which is stored in the 8MB Flash memory. The OS would have to be smaller than that to be stored internally so you could use the SD only for storage and still does not guarantee it will work since it is not supported. Also there is no documentation on how to install an alternative OS into the Galileo board. The procedure for flashing a custom Yocto image into the board can be found in the http://www.intel.com/support/processors/quark/sb/CS-035175.htm Quark BSP Build Guide.

Regards,

JPMontero