Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RDu
Novice

Is it possible to mount rootfs on a MicroSD card for extra storage?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm just curious about this possibility to expand the storage space using MicroSD card. 16G may be sufficient for many applications but having extra space can make you truly worry-free from getting storage full. And a MicroSD card slot is already available on the expansion board anyway. I think this can be helpful for people who use Joule as a general purpose single board computer to do experiments for different projects, rather than developing specialized software only for a specific product.

I know it's possible to mount the rootfs on MicroSD card for Edison(How to boot Edison from an SD card (Linux) ). As Joule has a relatively complete UEFI and bootloader support, I was wondering if it is possible to do something similar. Are there any known software/hardware limitations that prevent doing so?

Thanks,

RxDUty

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hi RxDUty,

First of all, we want to say that we appreciate your patience.

Right now, using the SD Card as a mass storage is not supported in the current software release. We are working on a software release that may support this feature.

We hope to have it available soon.

Regards,

Leonardo R.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi RxDUty,

Thank you for contacting us.

That's a really good question. Let us investigate more about it and we'll let you know when we have updates.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.
idata
Community Manager

Hi RxDUty,

We found out that it is possible to boot the OS from the SD card without installing it. If you are following this guide: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/705676# install-reflin, when you are booting the OS if the Joule asks if you want to install Reference Linux* OS for IoT onto the development platform's eMM,C you should enter N, and you will boot the OS from the SD card.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.
RDu
Novice

Thanks for the information. But is there a way to "install" the system on the MicroSD card (fully or partially)? Ideally, the MicroSD card should work as one of the partitions of the system, together with eMMC storage, not just as an external bootable device.

Thanks,

RxDUty

idata
Community Manager

Hi RxDUty,

Now I understand your question, let us check if is it possible. We will get back to you as soon we have information about this.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.
idata
Community Manager

Hi RxDUty,

First of all, we want to say that we appreciate your patience.

Right now, using the SD Card as a mass storage is not supported in the current software release. We are working on a software release that may support this feature.

We hope to have it available soon.

Regards,

Leonardo R.

View solution in original post

RDu
Novice

That's great to hear. And I really look forward to seeing this feature added soon.

Thanks,

RxDUty