Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Is there a way to configure WiFi for my Edison through a UI?

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I have an Intel Edison with a mini breakout board. I have been using it as a server sending values from my locally running client.

I was thinking of moving the Edison to a friend's location and running the client on my computer.

Since I wouldn't want her to open the putty to try configuring the Edison for her network, I would need the Edison to ask for the one time Wifi configuration through a user interface, say giving a keypad and LCD for this purpose.

So is it possible to configure the WiFi through a C code or a service or something?

Thanks in advance,

Ravija

Tags (1)
1 Solution
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ravija,

The Edison has the command configure_edison --wifi which configures the Wi-Fi connection. If you don't want to enter in the Edison's terminal to run the command, I would suggest you to modify the code of the Python script configure_edison.py to request the inputs from the keypad and to display the outputs in the LCD. The only detail is that you have to use Python and not C, because the configure_edison.py is a Python script.

The configure_edison.py script is accessible in the following file: /usr/bin/configure_edison. You can make a copy of it (or just a copy of the part that you need), and modify it by adding the code to request data from the keypad and to display data in the LCD.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ravija,

The Edison has the command configure_edison --wifi which configures the Wi-Fi connection. If you don't want to enter in the Edison's terminal to run the command, I would suggest you to modify the code of the Python script configure_edison.py to request the inputs from the keypad and to display the outputs in the LCD. The only detail is that you have to use Python and not C, because the configure_edison.py is a Python script.

The configure_edison.py script is accessible in the following file: /usr/bin/configure_edison. You can make a copy of it (or just a copy of the part that you need), and modify it by adding the code to request data from the keypad and to display data in the LCD.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

Hi Diego,

That was prompt. Will try to modify the file and run.

Thanks

Ravija