Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CHuan56
New Contributor I

Issues Integrating Galileo gen2 with USB Barcode scanner

I want to connect a usb barcode hand scanner to my new Galileo board and I'm having some issues with basic connection - I was wondering if I was missing a basic step somewhere.

Board: Galileo Gen 2

Scanner Configuration: USB HID (works like a keyboard)

IDE: Eclipse (C++)

Main Machine: Windows 10

When connecting to the board, I see the device under lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0c2e:0921

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001

However it doesn't show up when I call lsblk and fdisk -l. Calling dmesg retrieves

[ 4941.872465] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, device number 6

[ 4965.400196] usb 2-1: new full-speed USB device number 7 using ohci_hcd

[ 4965.651700] input: Honeywell Imaging & Mobility CCB as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.4/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/input/input10

[ 4965.674801] hid-generic 0003:0C2E:0921.000B: input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Honeywell Imaging & Mobility CCB] on usb-0000:00:14.4-1/input0

[ 4965.791966] hid-generic 0003:0C2E:0921.000C: device has no listeners, quitting

Is there a compatibility issue or am I missing a set of drivers?

Thanks in advance!

10 Replies
Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi emanontogi,

Which is the output of running uname –a in your board?

I suggest you to check the drivers for your device [0c2e:0921].

Regards,

Charlie

CHuan56
New Contributor I

Thanks, I'll check into the drivers.

The OS's current build is Linux galileo 3.8.7-yocto-standard # 1 Tue Sep 29 22:16:33 GMT 2015 i586 GNU/Linux

The scanner is currently working with a raspberry pi. I've noticed that on the RPi the directory dev/usb/ is added (within the directory is hiddev0 which is the path to communicate with the scanner), whereas on the Galileo it isn't created.

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi emanontogi,

I'm guessing you want to use the scanner as a UART. In this case you should use ttyUSB0. If you are not able to see ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1 on /dev try running modprobe ftdi_sio

If after this you still can't see the devices, you will need to add this module to the image, for doing this you will need to https://downloadmirror.intel.com/23197/eng/Quark_BSP_BuildGuide_329687_009.pdf build a new image and enable the driver in with menuconfig.

Take a look at the follow links, you could find them helpful:

http://alextgalileo.altervista.org/blog/reconfiguring-linux-kernel-adding-drivers-galileos-linux-ima... Reconfiguring Linux kernel and adding drivers into Galileo's Linux Image

Regards,

Charlie

CHuan56
New Contributor I

Hi Charlie,

ttyUSB0 is not coming up, so I have proceeded to build a new image and reconfigure to enable the driver. I'm currently building the full image and will give an update once it's complete.

Thanks,

emanontogi

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi emanontogi,

Take a look at this thread, where "Nizobe" was able to get ttyUSB0 after following the steps from http://alextgalileo.altervista.org/blog/install-kernel-from-repo-onto-edison-official-image/ How to install a kernel from my repo onto Edison with the official image

Regards,

Charlie

CHuan56
New Contributor I

CMata,

I've built the basic image, and then started to configure it using bitbake menuconfig. However, I'm having issues with the last bitbake, and I was wondering if you could help me out.

I get the error:

ERROR: Task 3387 (/home/carol/image/BSP/meta-clan/meta/recipes-extended/man/man_1.6g.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

Looking in the log files I see that during the make call:

make[1]: Entering directory '~/i586-poky-linux/man/1.6g-r1/man-1.6/src'

make[1]: *** No Targets. Stop.

make[1]: Leaving Directory ....

make: *** [source] Error 2

The directory is not empty, but I was wondering what target file the make command is looking for.

Thanks,

emanontogi

CHuan56
New Contributor I

cut and paste

Log data follows:

| DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile

| NOTE: make -j 1 -e MAKEFLAGS=

| cd src; make

| make[1]: Entering directory `/home/carol/image/BSP/meta-clan/yocto_build/tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/man/1.6g-r1/man-1.6g/src'

| make[1]: *** No targets. Stop.

| make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/carol/image/BSP/meta-clan/yocto_build/tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/man/1.6g-r1/man-1.6g/src'

| make: *** [source] Error 2

| ERROR: oe_runmake failed

| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.

| ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/carol/image/BSP/meta-clan/yocto_build/tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/man/1.6g-r1/temp/log.do_compile.30424)

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi emanontogi

I would like to know more information about the environment.

Which BSP are you using?

Which OS are you using on your PC? Is it a virtual machine?

Regarding menuconfig, how are you running bitbake? It seems you are using bitbake menuconfig, try with bitbake virtual/kernelconfig -c menuconfig

Did you check the file in /home/carol/image/BSP/meta-clan/yocto_build/tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/man/1.6g-r1/temp/log.do_compile.30424? Could you attach it?

Did you have errors before while building the image?

Regards,

Charlie

CHuan56
New Contributor I

Hi Charlie,

I got the image to properly build, but I restarted from scratch. Unfortunately the scanner is still giving me the same issue, but I'll outline my steps as there were a couple of hiccups along the way.

I used BSP 1.2 for quark.

I found that the file oe-init-build-env in repo-ext/poky had only the ttiny image, instead I used the oe-init-build-env in the main meta-clanton directory.

I couldn't run $bitbake -c menuconfig linux-yocto-clanton and had to run $bitbake -c menuconfig linux-yocto-quark instead.

In the configuration I enabled:

Under Device Drivers

HID Support

- Added /dev/hidraw

Special HID drivers

- Logitech devices

USB Support

- USB verbose debug

- USB announce new devices

- Generic EHCI drover

- GenericOHCI driver for a platform device

- Microtek X6USB scanner support

I ensured that the linux-yocto-quark layer was called by image-full. and ran $bitbake image-full

I needed to rename the files in the tmp/deploy/images directory to match tmp/deploy/image/boot/grub/grub.conf

The image seems like it's properly running though there are a couple of quirks. For instance, the sample Arduino blink program downloads correctly but will not flash the LED.

The image is running Linux quark 3.14.28-ltsi-yocto-standard # 1 Fri Dec 4 13:00:43 EST 2015 i586 GNU/

What else should I try to ensure the barcode scanner is properly read?

Thanks again,

emanontogi

CHuan56
New Contributor I

Solved the no listeners quitting.

Strangely enough, it didn't seem like running menuconfig was doing anything. I needed to manually edit the configuration file under meta-intel-quark/recipe-kernel/linux/files/quark_3.14.cnf and enabled what I needed.

I have a couple other issues - but I'll put it under a new topic.

Thanks.