cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Joule Atom performance benchmark

Jump to solution

I run sysbench 0.5 benchmark and have got unexpected results.

https://github.com/akopytov/sysbench GitHub - akopytov/sysbench

Ostro XT

BIOS GTPPA16A

./sysbench --test=cpu --num-threads=1 run

Using single thread gives 8.14sec on Joule, 9.27sec on Xeon E5-2687W (Sandy Bridge EP, 3.1GHz), and 12.76sec on MacBook Air (Core i7, 1.8GHz). Running all four cores of Joule gives 2.23sec. Is it possible or a kind of an artifact?

Regards,

sorrow

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Sorrow,

Thanks for reaching out.

I ran the benchmark, and I got the same results. Look at this photo:

About the results, you have to consider that the Joule isn't running any task on background like the Xeon E5-2687W or MacBook Air can be running.

And also this benchmark hasn't been approved by us, so you can try to contact the developer (Alexey Kopytov), to see if it applies to the Joule.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

-Leonardo

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Sorrow,

Thanks for reaching out.

I ran the benchmark, and I got the same results. Look at this photo:

About the results, you have to consider that the Joule isn't running any task on background like the Xeon E5-2687W or MacBook Air can be running.

And also this benchmark hasn't been approved by us, so you can try to contact the developer (Alexey Kopytov), to see if it applies to the Joule.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

-Leonardo

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi Leonardo,

Thank you for quickly testing the bench. As you suggested, background activities do affect the speed, but only sightly. Below you see running four threads simultaneously gives 8.9-9 sec instead of 8.1-8.2 (Joule 570). Edison BTW takes 225.71 sec.

As you mentioned that this software has not been approved by Intel, I would appreciate having a list of Intel approved benchmark tools that run on Ostro XT, including those for GPU such as H.265 encoding and QSV.

Regards,

sorrow

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Sorrow,

We don't have any list of approved benchmark tools for Joule, neither for Edison or Galileo.

But, we appreciate the information provided by you, and I will pass it to the right team to consider it.

Thanks again and have a nice day.

Regards,

-Leonardo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi Leonardo,

I am experimenting on the computational power of Joule under Ubuntu 16.04.1. Slicer4 is a 3D rendering software that usually require a workstation and a Quadro class video card. I was positively surprised by that Joule can handle this task, although this must not be something Intel's Joule development team had in mind.

sorrow

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Sorrow,

That's awesome!! Thank you so much for sharing this.

Regards,

-Leonardo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

welcomesorrow do you by chance have any other benchmarks you can share with us? Trying to find out how fast this thing is...

0 Kudos