Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DMars9
Beginner

Just got an Intel Compute Stick/Ubuntu. It's full...what now?

Jump to solution

I just got an Intel Compute Stick and loaded it up right out of the box. Went smooth...updated the software..now my 8g available is down to 120mbs. I have added a 32g. micro sd card but I need for all of my future software updates to go to the micro sd. because my Stick is full of operational software that I cannot move or delete. Can somebody tell me how I can have all my software updates go to the micro sd? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JHile
Novice

I had to delete the old kernels (as well as Libra Office and Chrome) to get enough space to do any useful things with the Stick.

Check the Ubuntu help systems for instructions on how to safely remove old kernels and read the warnings first.

I also installed BleachBit which helps with removing temp files.

I am not sure about the best way to mount your SDcard to make it available for all operating system purposes.

Jim

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JHile
Novice

I had to delete the old kernels (as well as Libra Office and Chrome) to get enough space to do any useful things with the Stick.

Check the Ubuntu help systems for instructions on how to safely remove old kernels and read the warnings first.

I also installed BleachBit which helps with removing temp files.

I am not sure about the best way to mount your SDcard to make it available for all operating system purposes.

Jim

View solution in original post

DMars9
Beginner

Thanks very much Jim. I'll do those things..I'm sure that will help. I appreciate your response.

Dana

DMars9
Beginner

BleachBit is a great program..was able to free up some space...now I have 382 megs room. I looked at the kernels..scared me. Not gonna mess with that. Do you have any problems opening articles without Libre Office? I removed Chromium (what a hog) replaced it with Qupzilla, not bad unless you want to watch video... What browser do you use Jim?

Just thought I'd let you know how it is going...I really appreciate your recommendations.

Dana

DMars9
Beginner

The following site shows how to clean your computer of unwanted, broken, duplicate, or residue files. I was able to get from only 500 megs of free space to a little over one gig. In case anybody is having the same trouble I was here is some help...https://www.maketecheasier.com/8-ways-to-maintain-a-clean-lean-ubuntu-machine/ 8 Ways to Maintain a Clean, Lean Ubuntu Machine - Make Tech Easier

I hope it helps..

Dana