cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CPear2
Beginner

Linux shutdown with power button?

Jump to solution

I have an stk1aw32sc and I've loaded Fedora 20 on it. Works great. I've attached it to a touchscreen and my full-screen browser-based touchscreen application runs well. As a kiosk, it has no mouse or keyboard. I would like to use the power button to do an orderly shutdown.

It doesn't appear that either gsettings or acpid solutions work. Is there a way to trap the pressing of the power button in Linux to initiate an orderly shutdown?

Does the power button enable a shutdown in the official Ubuntu distribution for this device?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hello ctopher,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I understand you are looking for power options for the power button in Fedora 20, let me try to help you with this matter but please bear in mind that Intel offers limited support for Linux* on Intel® Compute Sticks:

This link may help you:

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/10325/how-do-i-get-the-shutdown-menu-by-pressing-the-power... How do I get the shutdown menu by pressing the power button in Fedora 16

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

For more information on compatible Operating Systems, you can review the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005899.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Compute Stick.

I have also sent you a private message.

Best Regards,

Juan V.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello ctopher,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I understand you are looking for power options for the power button in Fedora 20, let me try to help you with this matter but please bear in mind that Intel offers limited support for Linux* on Intel® Compute Sticks:

This link may help you:

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/10325/how-do-i-get-the-shutdown-menu-by-pressing-the-power... How do I get the shutdown menu by pressing the power button in Fedora 16

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

For more information on compatible Operating Systems, you can review the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005899.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Compute Stick.

I have also sent you a private message.

Best Regards,

Juan V.

View solution in original post

CPear2
Beginner

I'll give this a try, although I've already made changes in gsettings similar to the post you linked to. I will report back my results and make it as answered if it works.

idata
Community Manager

Hello ctopher,

I will be awaiting the results.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
CPear2
Beginner

The link you sent was helpful!

I ended up logging in as a user that was an sudoer and

$ sudo yum install dconf-editor

Then I logged in as the limited user (that runs the web app) and ran dconf-editor. In the editor I chose (from the left side of the window) ORG->Gnome->Setting Daemon->Plugins->Power

The power button was already set to "shutdown" so I set all of the other buttons to "shutdown" even though there's only the one button on the stick. So I'm not sure which one was the correct one, but now, whenever that user is active (when the machine is running its web app) a press of the power button on the stick starts an orderly shutdown.

Thank you for your help!

Chris

idata
Community Manager

Hi ctopher,

I am glad to hear it worked. Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Juan V.