Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SKemp2
Novice

Long-Term availability - How long will the Edison be supported by Intel?

Hi!

I would like to know more about how Intel sees the Intel Edison in terms of long-term availability and how long it will be officially supported by Intel. Reason for this is that my company is having a customer for which we build a hard- and software solution for retrofitting his existing consumer devices. Those retrofits are all based on Intel Edison. The OS is the great ResinOS with build in deployment based on docker.

We have made quite a few tests with other IoT boards but from all those other boards the Edison really stands out - mostly because of its small form-factor and the fact that it comes with plenty of RAM and flash memory.

Since we are moving closer to production we would like to close test now - the Edison is sill our number one choice for production be we are still a bit afraid that Intel will stop supporting it and that the Edison is a product which has come to its EOL-phase.

So maybe someone at Intel just can give me some Info on long-term support!? Is it a good choice to use Edison for production or is the Edison moving towards "End-of-Life" phase?

Also are there any people / companies here in the forum that use the Edison in production / commercial products? I would really like to know more about that!

Any help, feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Tags (1)
16 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Edison Platform.

As far as we know, Intel won't stop supporting the Edison, however, we would like to investigate a little bit more and as soon as we have useful information we'll let you know.

We'll appreciate your patience during the meantime.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

SKemp2
Novice

Hi Yermi!

Thanks for reaching out to us! We really appreciate investigating this since we would really love to continue using the Intel Edison as a platform for current and upcoming commercial products!

Thanks,

Simon

idata
Community Manager

Hi Simon,

We have sent you a private message requesting some information, could you please check if you received that message? If that's the case, could you reply to it?

Regards,

-Yermi A.

SKemp2
Novice

Hi Yermi,

I have received your private message and already replied to it before your left the message here! Did you receive it?

Simon

idata
Community Manager

Hi Simon,

We have not received your private message, could you please send it again?

Regards,

-Yermi A.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your patience, we have been investigating and we would like to let you know that Intel doesn't have an EOL date for the Intel Edison.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

GGerh
New Contributor I

Hi,

we are also interested in that topic cause we plan to release our hardware with the intel edison as a host. so it would be great to get some detailed informations.

thanks in advance

idata
Community Manager

Hi Gerrik,

We would like to let you know that the information available is that Intel doesn't have EOL date for the Intel Edison as it was mentioned above.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

KMill10
Valued Contributor II

gerrik84k

The EOL Product Change Notification that you linked to, only applies to the LPOF (Low Power) variant of Edison and not the SPOF (Standard Power) variant.

Andriy_S_Intel
Employee

SpiderKenny

How to distinguish which one is which?

For example, I have a module (no other stuff, no boxes, no nothing), which numbers / IDs allow me to map it to SPOF or LPOF?

KMill10
Valued Contributor II

You know, I have no idea! That's one for Intel to answer. Presumably they can tell from the Serial number.

All the Edison devices I have are standard power. Some have on-board antenna, and some have off-board antenna, but they all have serial numbers that start with "FZED"

I don;t know if the low-power ones have something different in the serial number? Or maybe on the ID numbers printed on the bottom.

GGerh
New Contributor I

i dont even knew there were two diffrent ones !? ok so can you tell me how long will the EDI2.SPON.AL.S be supported ?

idata
Community Manager

Hi guys,

I would like to add that looking at the Intel Edison serial number we can determinate if it is SPON, SPOF, LPON or LPOF, please take a look at this article for more details: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-edison-kits/000020816.html Serial Number Decoder for the Intel® Edison Board.

Moreover, I would like to let you know that Intel does not discuss anything about roadmaps or future plans for any product.

My apologies for any inconveniences this may cause.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

MMüll3
Beginner

well...

aedwa2
New Contributor III

Entire Edison product line end of life with 3 months notice. Wow.

As George Bush said:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again