Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JThör
Beginner

Managed to install Windows 8.1 but system drive "hdd" will not extend into storage spaces.

I downloaded an windows 8.1 bing image to **hannspree minicomputer**, and there was no problem to install on the 8 GB stick, and works it faster then Ubuntu 16.04 however after installation the lack of space was obvious.... a 3.6 gigabyte system partition i had to scale down swapspace to 500 MB.

I thought i could make a storage space added to it, so i attached a USB HDD. But the internal SD memory? of compustick do not show up is there away to extend or spann the system disk into the "storage spaces" drive.

Below the win bing 8.1 for atom.

http://spacebox-e.hannspree.eu/download/SNNPDI1B/Image.zip http://spacebox-e.hannspree.eu/download/SNNPDI1B/Image.zip

I guess by now people cursing that i installed windows on an Ubuntu stick LoL well i even tried to just remove the 4 GB recovery storage partition but the system crasch hard.

If someone knows howto remove recovery partition without the system crashing and tell i would be greatful because 7.6 GB may be enough system space. And i think it work better then UBUNTU

Jonas

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You do realize that the hannspree device is not an Intel product, and not an Intel Compute Stick, correct?

And, while you are obviously enjoying yourself, questions about removing partitions on Windows 8.1 and storage spaces are dealt with over on the Microsoft forums.

So, your post has nothing to do with the Intel forums.

Doc

JThör
Beginner

But i did install it on a /community/tech/compute-stick/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpublished%5D~category%5B7-compute-stick-stck1a8lfc%5D Compute Stick STCK1A8LFC so i think it is the correct forum, maybe someone else want Windpws on their 8 GB intel compustick? I just wander howto make the system partition bigger.

JThör
Beginner

There probably programmers that could change the install script so that the system is installed full on the 8 GB /community/tech/compute-stick/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpublished%5D~category%5B7-compute-stick-stck1a8lfc%5D Compute Stick STCK1A8LFC, and the recovery part is installed to attached SD card. I am just not the one to do it, i can't even remove the recovery partition without the boot process crasch.

But i am sure there is people who can fix the install script, because the stick work flawlessly with the downloadable Hannespree free Bing Windows 8.1 OS, it is the exact same hardware.

And the Bing Windows 8.1 OS is free to download from Hannesspree.

So either remove the recovery part or make the script install it to SD, how could i achieve that?

JThör
Beginner

The install process is easy just unzip the Hannespree zip, into files to an USB, change Bios to boot Windows and i guess the bios find the EFI file on USB and boot using it

AlHill
Super User

You did not provide any model number of the Intel compute stick in your original post.

Doc

AlHill
Super User

Contact Microsoft regarding partitions on Windows.

Doc

JThör
Beginner

I thought it was posted withunder the model link? 8GB

JThör
Beginner

LoL i know how partitions work, it is the pointer to the drive and partition that need to change. And there i am pretty clueless, it could be that the recovery partition upon the "main HDD/drive" is a form of copy protection to prevent installation to SD cards and USB media.

AlHill
Super User

You are using an image from hannspree. It is not intended for the Intel compute stick. Regarding modifications to achieve what you want, go to Microsoft or Hannspree (it is their image).

Doc

JThör
Beginner

Maybe i did understood wrong i thought this was a user forum, not a support forum? If it is i can see you think i came to the wrong place, but is it a support forum?

I was looking for other users ideas.
AlHill
Super User

You do not seem to be listening. What you are doing with a hannspree image on your stick is not supported here.

Plus, it is not a supported OS for your stick:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005899/mini-pcs/intel-compute-sticks.htm... Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Compute Sticks

There is no support here for what you are doing.

What do you not understand? This is a support community for Intel products. And, what you are doing is NOT SUPPORTED.

Doc

JThör
Beginner

Ok i missjudged the forum purpose, because i saw others post that they succesfully intalled Ubuntu 18.10, and i did not see any protests there. I know warranty void with other OS then the supplied, but as i said after looking at the posts i thought it was a user forum. Not a support forum.Sorry!

JThör
Beginner

But then again maybe someone could use my info to save their bricked 8 GB compustick

Who is doing the support now LoL
JThör
Beginner

And it they want Ubuntu for their bricked compustick they can goto Ian Morrison Linuxium, it has support for Atom.

AlHill
Super User

There is no protest. It is simply a statement of facts - you are not supported.

I am curious - why are you not doing this on the hannspree forum? Why are you not looking for support with the image on the microsoft forum, where they can help you with w8.1? You seem to be under the impression that this is an Intel issue, while you are using an image from hannspree, and not seeking help from microsoft. You seem to be demanding support for something that is NOT SUPPORTED.

Doc

JThör
Beginner

And i tell you again i did not seeking for support i was seeking for the user base "The Intel Compute stick" community LoL

Evidently there is no such thing just you asking questons

No you see bright people do not go and ask people who have no incitament to solve the task, "nothing to gain" it is only the 8 GB compute stick community that have something to gain.

Did that answer your question, i am not and was never looking for support, i was looking for the 8 GB compute stick community.

If you really work at support at Intel i must say really does not your employer think you should give support instead of having a by now long conversation with me about a support that i never asked for?

My question was directed to the user community that i thought hanged out here, either way i do not think you are qualified to answer it LoL

You are more a conversation guy then a support guy aren't you LoL

OK i rest my case and admit ***again*** that this was wrong forum for my question, anything else you want to know while you still feel chatty

It is a fun litle product i like mini PC's in general but 8 GB well it simply was to tight for both UBUNTU and WIndows.

You see i try to do you a favour and solve it for you here, but i understand the fear everyone will by 8GB sticks and employ Windows if it would workout satisfactory.

Enough said have a good day.