Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DPato1
Beginner

Massive failure rates with Compute Stick

Bought 12 of the win8.1 version. Have only been setup and running for less than 3 months. 5/12 faulty so far. Have been swapping them out with 2nd batch (newer pre-installed with win10) Only been running those in the last few weeks but since its the same hardware I'm fully expecting those to fail in the coming months as well.

From what I've seen the failures seem to be either looping through boot or unable to detect boot device, also had one that would get power but that's it. No picture, definitely wasn't booting with just no pic because wouldn't show on network when left powered on.

Anyone else experiencing unacceptable failure rates with these devices?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
DPato1
Beginner

UPDATE: 2 more just failed today. Now at 7/12 faulty.

IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello DanielR34,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Please try the following:

Update the Intel® Compute Stick BIOS; please download the latest BIOS version for this unit at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25506/BIOS-Update-FCBYT10H-86A- Download BIOS Update [FCBYT10H.86A]

In this case I recommend doing a BIOS recovery and you can follow the steps at:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005902.html Intel® Compute Stick BIOS Recovery Instructions

After that is done reset the system to factory defaults:

1. Remove any SD card, if installed.
  2. Press F8 when you see this prompt during boot: F8 to Activate Windows 8.1* Recovery Mode.
  3. Select Troubleshoot.
  4. Select Reset your PC, then select Next.
  5. Select just remove my files.
  6. Select Reset to start the restore process.

If anyone else is having this problem it will be appreciated if it can be posted here.

Best regards,

Ivan

JSumr
Novice

We have seen a failure rate of about seven out of ten. All failures but one can be attributed to either windows updates or OS update to Win 10

JSumr
Novice

This seem an absurd amount of work to revive a brand new product. Intel should allow re-imaging of the device and an override to turn OFF all windows updates. I started adding the following regedits to all new ones we buy:

Windows 10 updates stop

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

To block the upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update, specify the following registry value:

Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

For non-Enterprise versions of Windows, the notification icon can be suppressed through the Windows registry. To do this, set the following registry value:

Subkey: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx

DWORD value: DisableGwx = 1

IUman
Honored Contributor II

I'm sorry for all the inconvenience this has cause to you all.

Some customers have had positive experience with the Intel® Compute stick, you can see it here:

/thread/96904 https://communities.intel.com/thread/96904

Intel and Microsoft are aware of the Windows 10 update issue and you can see more information at the following link:

/thread/93643?tstart=0 https://communities.intel.com/thread/93643?tstart=0

Best regards,

Ivan

DPato1
Beginner

Finally have a few of the faulty ones back in my possession and they take absolutely ages just to get to the bios or attempt doing a bios update. Looks like the built in storage is actually faulty in both the units I've checked over. BIOS appears to update but any attempt to image/recover has errors trying to access the storage device. Looks like I'll be sending a whole lot more back for warranty. Time to look for a different product I guess. No way I can rely on these devices.

IUman
Honored Contributor II

I'm sorry for all the inconvenience this can cause to you all and I understand this can be frustrating.

I will report this failure rate with Intel® Compute Stick so we can try to get a better solution for you.

I apologize for this situation and I hope after the replacements you can get a better experience with this units.

Best regards,

Ivan

Ronny_G_Intel

Hello All,

I work for Intel Customer Support and your feedback and comments were reported up and we hope replacements units wont exhibit this high failure rate.

I apologize for all the inconvenience caused.

Regards,

JSumr
Novice

Can you please help with tickets 254023 and 244347

JSumr
Novice

Can you please help with tickets 254023 and 244347

Ronny_G_Intel

I made a request to expedite resolution on these 2 Service Tickets.

Regards,

WMcCl
Novice

Daniel, I am right there with you. I am seeing the same type of failure rates. I had started another post along the same lines as yours. I bought two to test with. Both have failed. In my case, both seem to have failed due to the Windows 10 update process. I'm trying to go through and do a manual recovery since the automatic recovery options are not working.

JSumr
Novice

Intel has been sending out the new revised version that comes with Windows 10 preloaded. The new ones fail just like the others. We put them in service following the basic windows setup and find them in a state of "stalled" the screen will read something like "applying updates do not power off" , the things will stay that way indefinitely and never recover. We don't even load profiles of applications on the things. I assume that it's either lack of memory, lack of CPU or lack of storage that is causing them to fail right out of the box. We have started shipping them via USPS because it's gotten out of hand how many we've had to send back. So Intel if you are listening, do your own experiment: provision a new stick PC, (can't turn off updates) let it run. Watch it crash and never come back. FYI, recovery does NOT work.

JSumr
Novice

Intel has been sending out the new revised version that comes with Windows 10 preloaded. The new ones fail just like the others. We put them in service following the basic windows setup and find them in a state of "stalled" the screen will read something like "applying updates do not power off" , the things will stay that way indefinitely and never recover. We don't even load profiles of applications on the things. I assume that it's either lack of memory, lack of CPU or lack of storage that is causing them to fail right out of the box. We have started shipping them via USPS because it's gotten out of hand how many we've had to send back. So Intel if you are listening, do your own experiment: provision a new stick PC, (can't turn off updates) let it run. Watch it crash and never come back. FYI, recovery does NOT work

WMcCl
Novice

On the one I own that did upgrade to Windows10 successfully, I have sent the "applying updates do not power off" stuck screen. I have also seen the 100% completed stuck screen. I was not sure if this was an issue on my end or not. I also purchased an HP Stream 13 as an alternative product to try out. I am interested in it since it has a scree, keyboard, hdmi port, and other stuff all together as well. The only problem I have had with the stream13 was the update to Windows 10. Once I went in and blew away the recovery part of the disk, Windows 10 had enough space to update and everything has been fine since. another option I am looking into is one of the small gigabyte ultracompact pc boxes. They are fairly small. I've used one of them at a customer and had no issues whatsoever. Granted, I put a 128 gig ssd in it instead of 32 gigs drive and 8 gigs instead of the 2 gigs, but I haven't had any issues there either.

WMcCl
Novice

One thing that I have found this morning is that updating the bios seems to make a world of difference. My devices were very early devices that I purchased via amazon. I futzed with them Sunday as well as first thing this morning. I finally decided to update the bios. Once I updated the bios, the Windows 10 update worked properly and the device seems to be much more stable. Granted, this is early in the update process. I've also updated windows to whatever the latest update is. I'm plugging along right now. We'll see how this goes over time.

JSumr
Novice

I have two dead ones in the mail right now and a third on my desk stuck at "resetting 45%". Makes me crazy. Maybe Intel should slow down on these until they are stable.

JJee1
Beginner

Here is my story, I made the massive mistake of buying55 of these units. Various failures such as

Your pc encountered a problem

Windows Failed to start

A bootable device has not been detected

No Boot device

No amount of hitting the F button for windows repair will make it start repair. Most of these devices fail after trying to do windows updates. I reckon they are overheating during updates and crapping themselves. Boot devices pretty much flake out after this.

So far, I have 21 units out of 55 that have failed with the first 16 being RMA with my supplier. I want to abandon them and get a credit off Intel because it is wasting my time replacing them in the field. Costing me way more than what i am saving by using a cheaper smaller pc that even intel suggest is good for digital signage.

Please someone from Intel contact me. I am in Australia.

Jeremy

IUman
Honored Contributor II

We are aware of the update issue and we are currently working with Microsoft to investigate a problem where the Windows® 10 Autumn Update causes the Intel® Compute Stick to fail.

You can see here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/stck1a32wfc/sb/CS-035870.htm?wapkw=stck1a32wfc Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC — Issue with Windows® 10 Autumn Update

We really apologize for this inconvenience and I hope you can have a better experience with the ones you still have.

There is Windows TH2 update available and you can see more information here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000017933.html?wa... Windows® 10 Threshold 2 Update Guide for Intel® Compute Stick...

This website shows the Windows® 10 Threshold 2 Update Guide for Intel® Compute Stick.