Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Measure 11.1v battery voltage w/mini breakout board

Is there a way to read the voltage of a 11.1v lipo plugged into J21? I know there is a way to do this with a 3.7v lipo on J2, but was hoping I could use something similar for higher voltage batteries J21? If there's not a direct way to do this with yocto, would it be possible to devise a simple (ideally low power) set up using the gpios to do this?

Thanks,

Thomas

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Thomas Kirven,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board.

Have you tried using the "battery-voltage" command? Just type "battery-voltage" at the command line with root access.

If you already tried that, you may want to check this link which shows a software-oriented alternative https://github.com/cjo20/EdisonVoltage.

Regards,

Andres
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Thomas Kirven,

I was wondering if you had the chance to try the previous suggestion.

Regards,

Andres
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

It looks like the battery-voltage command is used for batteries on J2 and the github link does more or less the same thing. I was wondering if there was a way to check the voltage of an 11.1v battery on J21. I did try the battery-voltage command but that just gave me a reading of 4400 mv which I believe is the default reading if no battery is plugged in.

-Thomas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor II

Looking at the schematic for the breakout board:

I don't see anyway of measuring the voltage on J21 becuase it is not connected to any kind of ADC.

It is connected only to the Power Management Chip, U37 and it doesn't have any way of communicating with the processor.

I think your only choice would be to build a custom ADC board and fit it between the battery and J21

0 Kudos