Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Mini Breakout Board Brick?

I downloaded the latest Intel Edison Board Configuration Tool (intel_edison_setup_win_v2016.2.007.exe) and after running it, I may have a brick?

Using the above tool, I installed the latest USB drivers (on Windows 10) and the tool detects it. I then clicked the Flash Firmware button as it said the latest was not installed. It ran for quite a while appears to succeed, but the "Enable Security" and "Connect WiFi" buttons remain disabled and the message next to them is "Intel Edison not detected."

I've also tried running the flashall.bat script (from iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160606.zip), the output is:

Using U-boot target: edison-blankrndis

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

Dfu device found

Flashing IFWI

Download [=========================] 100% 4194304 bytes

Download done.

Download [=========================] 100% 4194304 bytes

Download done.

Flashing U-Boot

Download [=========================] 100% 237568 bytes

Download done.

Flashing U-Boot Environment

Download [=========================] 100% 65536 bytes

Download done.

Flashing U-Boot Environment Backup

Download [=========================] 100% 65536 bytes

Download done.

Rebooting to apply partiton changes

Dfu device found

Flashing boot partition (kernel)

Download [=========================] 100% 6144000 bytes

Download done.

Flashing rootfs, (it can take up to 5 minutes... Please be patient)

Download [=========================] 100% 1373149184 bytes

Download done.

Rebooting

U-boot & Kernel System Flash Success...

Your board needs to reboot to complete the flashing procedure, please do not unplug it for 2 minutes.

The board reboots and windows pops up the drive and says it isn't formatted.

The only output I get in Tera Term (from the serial port) is:

**B0100000063f694

At this point, what (if any) options do I have?

Thanks,

C-Coder

7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I've a few questions:

1. How are you powering the mini breakout board? During the flashing process it's very important the board is supplied with sufficient power. Make sure you're meeting this requirement. You can find more information here http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonbreakout_hg_331190006.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonbreakout_hg_331190006.pdf

2. Have you tried to flash using different cables to rule out any malfunction with the cables?

3. Have you tried to flash using another mini breakout board or an Arduino expansion board? The issue might be only with the expansion board, not the module.

Once you've tried these suggestions try again the flashall script /docs/DOC-25154 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154 and let us know your results.

We'll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Do you still need help with this thread, have you tried our previous suggestions? Let us know your results.

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Unfortunately, I do not have any other cables and I do not have another breakout/arduino board to test with.

Power wise, I am just supplying power via the USB cable.

Thanks,

C-Coder

idata
Community Manager

Hi C-Coder,

Thanks for the clarification. During the flashing process, it's highly recommended you use an external power supply, not just supply power through USB. For the mini breakout board, you can see this note taken from the hardware guide "J21 is the main power input. Apply 7 to 15 VDC with the polarity shown". Power your board though J21 as well and let us know if you continue to see the same message.

As an alternative, you can try the flash tool lite to flash your board. Instructions on how to download and install it can be found here https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/flash-tool-lite-user-manual https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/flash-tool-lite-user-manual . There's also a "Troubleshooting and Tips" section at the end of the guide.

Check it out and make sure you're following the suggestions posted.

Let us know your results.

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Hi C-Coder,

Do you still need assistance with this thread, what were the results of trying our latest suggestion?

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Sergio

After testing a brand new Edison mini breakout (to make sure my laptop and USB cables did not have an issue), I again tried the possible brick one. It looks like the Flash Tool Lite did in fact resurrect the board, at least with an older version. I'm hoping to try the latest software again within a week or two.

Thank you,

C-Coder

idata
Community Manager

Hi C-Coder,

Thank you for letting us know the flash tool lite helped to recover your board. Keep us updated on your tests with the latest image.

-Sergio