cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Mini Breakout Host Mode

Jump to solution

I'm having quite a lot of trouble trying to connect a USB audio device to my Edison.

I have had a good look around the forum and have found many helpful tips. I feel like I have tried them all and still no luck.

I'm using the Mini Breakout Board

I'm supplying power correctly, 12 volt external power supply to J21.

OTG adapter is connected to J16

I have tried multiple OTG adapters: Micro USB Type B to USB A.

The ID pin (4) is connected to Ground (5).

The output of dmsg shows the ID pin is detected on plugin and removed on remove.

root@Edison:~# dmesg -c

[ 582.109690] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: USB ID Detected. Notifying OTG driver

[ 667.943987] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: USB ID Removed. Notifying OTG driver

And of course lsusb returns the famous

root@Edison:~# lsusb

unable to initialize libusb: -99

Looking at /message/252642# 252642 intel_dan's example of how this setup should look I noticed that I've never seen the DS3 LED on when plugging the OTG adapter into J16. Further no power ever goes to the usb device.

This makes me feel like the USB ID is detected but is never switched to host mode.

I have run into a wall here and need some guidance on where to look next.

Thanks

Note

I've tried cold booting with it out, plugging it in later. cold booting with it in. warm rebooting (which seems of little point as the device never connects properly)

root@Edison:~# configure_edison --version

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Novice

Okay I have solved me original problem by reflashing http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25028/eng/edison-image-ww25.5-15.zip Release 2.1 Yocto* complete image using the same Hardware.

Reboot OTA didn't do the trick, so I looked into using flashall.bat

The problem was that my Edison does not show up as a drive in windows and cannot be found through the dfu-util.

However, I did need to find a workaround in order to flash the image:

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hi,

The reason why DS3 never comes on is because the battery is fully charged. There is a more detailed explanation on the DS1 and DS3 LEDs of the breakout board here .

I believe the error comes from, as you said, from the USB device not receiving any power, which is also the reason you get the unable to initialize libusb: -99 error. Take a look at this thread .

Additionally, there is more information on the Breakout Board Hardware Guide Section 2.1 http://www.intel.com/support/edison/sb/CS-035252.htm Intel® Edison Boards — Intel® Edison Breakout Board Hardware Guide that you might find helpful.

Regards

Sergio

Highlighted
Novice

Hi Intel_Alvarado

Thanks for your reply.

In the absence of a battery in both mine and /message/252642# 252642 intel_dan's case; what do you think might cause us to get different results from DS3?

In both cases there is no battery to read the charge of, yet mine remains off and intel_dan's shows illuminated.

As I mentioned I'm supplying 12 volt from an external power supply to J21.

The only difference I can find in the hardware guide is that a micro USB type A is recommended to activate host mode. I'm using a micro USB type B

The difference is the shape. However I have seen many people use USB type B OTG adapters with success, as long as the ID pin is grounded.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi,

I connected my mini breakout board using micro USB type B cables, both LEDs lit up. I'm not using J21. Can you try to power your board using two USB to micro USB cables to see if this time both LEDs light up?

Have you already seen the breakout board hardware guide, in section 2.1.1 it states:

If you power the breakout board with a battery, it will not supply power as a USB host.

There is also useful information in section 2.1.1 about the different scenarios of using type A and type B cables.

Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

That's strange.

I only get one LED when powering with two micro USB cables (nothing else connected, no battery no external power)

Also, now the Edison does not show up in windows as a storage device (as it did before to put the firmware files on).

The serial connection works fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Okay I have solved me original problem by reflashing http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25028/eng/edison-image-ww25.5-15.zip Release 2.1 Yocto* complete image using the same Hardware.

Reboot OTA didn't do the trick, so I looked into using flashall.bat

The problem was that my Edison does not show up as a drive in windows and cannot be found through the dfu-util.

However, I did need to find a workaround in order to flash the image:

View solution in original post