Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Multiple terminal support in Intel Edison

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

Is there any solution on how to get multiple terminals support (via serial connection) on intel edison without using ssh connection ?

Currently if I want to run multiple parallel commands, every time I need to connect via ssh.

If I run the sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200 command 2 times on my ubuntu machine, it opens 2 Edison terminals but acts as a single terminal.

Means whatever command I run, its output is divided between these 2 terminals. So they act as single terminal and not separate from each other.

What if I want to have multiple terminals just like ubuntu that can run different commands at the same time ?

Some sources stated (not specifically for Yocto/Edison) that installing GNOME shell can solve the issue. Is that true ? Can I install GNOME on intel edison ?

Thank you

Tags (1)
1 Solution
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi mailto:falak.desai@yahoo.com falak.desai@yahoo.com,

Having multiple terminal sessions via serial connection is not possible. You can only have one session open. The terminal communication is through a serial port, once you have opened it for the first terminal session, it cannot be "re-opened" for an additional session because it doesn't use another serial port, it uses the same one. The data would be simply replicated in each session, as you described.

On the other hand, when you use SSH, you are using the IP address, not the serial port. In this case you can have multiple sessions; all connected to the Edison's IP address.

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi mailto:falak.desai@yahoo.com falak.desai@yahoo.com,

Having multiple terminal sessions via serial connection is not possible. You can only have one session open. The terminal communication is through a serial port, once you have opened it for the first terminal session, it cannot be "re-opened" for an additional session because it doesn't use another serial port, it uses the same one. The data would be simply replicated in each session, as you described.

On the other hand, when you use SSH, you are using the IP address, not the serial port. In this case you can have multiple sessions; all connected to the Edison's IP address.

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

SShir4
Novice

How about to use GNU screen or tmux?

You can run multiple shell session on Edison by using screen/tmux ON your Edison. (not on your workstation)