cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Need help for DDDR3 memory selection with Intel Quark x1000 SoC

Hi,

Currently, I am working on Intel Galileo Gen 2 board and will have plan to design custom board based on Intel Quark x1000 SoC for my product.

I have looked into Intel Quark x1000 SoC Data-sheet and found that it has been mentioned to use Data Width x8 DDR3 memory only. Also, There are total 2 DDR3 x8 Data Width supported memories are used into Intel Galileo Gen 2 Kit.

13.2 Features

13.2.1 System Memory Technology Supported

The system memory controller supports the following DDR3 Data Transfer Rates and

DRAM Device Technologies:

• DDR3 Data Transfer Rate: 800 MT/s

• DDR3 (1.5V DRAM interface I/Os)

• DDR3 x8 memory modules

So, would anyone please confirm that I need to use only x8 Data Width supported DDR3 memory with Intel Quark x1000 SoC? Also, Do I need to use DDR3 memory in multiple of 2 or is it ok if I will use single x8 Data Width supported DDR3 memory for my custom board?

Please let me know if anyone has any idea or information about that.

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

8 Replies
asss
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

it depends on your readiness to update all software to support x16 DRAM data width.

Official Intel answer on your question may be found in this document: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/embedded-processors/000008054.html Specification Update for Intel® Quark™ SoC X1000

BR,

xbolshe

idata
Community Manager

Hi xbolshe,

Thanks for Quick Reply.

As per above specification clarifications, its risky or not feasible to use x16 DDR3 memory with Intel Quark x1000 SoC. is ii correct?

Also we are planning to use only single DDR3 memory instead of multiple DDR3 memory to reduce total cost of our custom product based on Intel Quark x1000 SoC. so, would you please confirm that do I need to use only x8 DDR3 memory with intel x1000 SoC?

Please let me know your feedback on this as quickly as possible.

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

idata
Community Manager

Hi Ritesh,

I looked for this information in the Quark datasheet from August 2015. The information you're looking for can be found in Table 80 and Table 81. See the image below.

The answer for your first question is yes, it's recommended you only use x8 data width DRAM devices, as shown in Table 80. For the second question you can look at Table 81. For each DRAM chip with a certain density you have the number of DRAM devices per rank. It's recommended you follow the specifications of the datasheet and use 2 DRAM devices per rank as described in Table 81.

-Sergio

HPate12
Beginner

Hi Sergio & xbolshe

I am Harsh from Hardware Domain; Working with Ritesh.

My quick concerns are Below

• As per datasheet we can use 16 Lines chips, But In Quark X1000 ; All the references are based upon 2 pcs * X8 based chips.
  • Also, There are not any validation done with this.

My Questions are

1. Can we use single chip with X16 datalines instead of 2 chips * X8 memory elements ?
  2. Can I use 1 pc X8 memory chip and leave remaining 8 lines blank (I have doubt about the minimum data chunk it needed) ??? Or I have to put two pcs of memory chips when I am using it in X8 mode. ??
idata
Community Manager

Hi hprise,

Please find our answers to your queries below:
  1. The only supported device width is x8. This information can also be found on the PDG for the Quark x1000 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-platform-design-guide.htm... http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-platform-design-guide.htm...

2. The datasheet recommends always using 2 DRAM devices. This can be shown in Table 81 of the Quark x1000 datasheet. You can see a screenshot of Table 81 above.

Let me know if this answers your questions.

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Hi Ritesh,

Do you still need assistance with this case? Did the information we provided answered your DDR3 questions?

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for Reply.

Its enough informations for us to choose DDR3 memory for our custom Intel Quark x1000 SoC based board. still, I will let you know if need any help regarding this in future.

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

idata
Community Manager

Hi Ritesh,

Thanks for your reply. Let us know if you need help with this in the future. We'd be happy to assist you.

-Sergio