cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Need help to choose WiFi+Bluetooth Module based on Intel Quark x1000 SoC boards

Hi All,

I have one Intel Galileo Gen 2 board which is based on Intel Quark x1000 SoC based and have created core-minimal-image using Yocto Linux Build System. I have tested all interfaces like GPIO, I2C, SPI, ADC, Ethernet and UART which works fine with that image without any issue.

Now, I want to connect WiFi+BLE module in which communication interface should be USB or Mini PCIe because SDIO interface is already used to boot firmware from SD Card which we need it. So, I have one Atheros based Mini PCIe module and tried to connect it into Intel Galileo Gen 2 board as well as tested it into STATION and AP mode which works fine without any issue.

But, Mini PCIe based WiFi module is too much costly as I have looked some modules which is in range of 18 to 25 US Dollar. Also, we are planning to create our custom board based on Intel Quark x1000 SoC in which we need support of 802.11 b/g/n WiFi+BLE 4.0 support either on USB or on Mini PCIe Interface.

So, can anyone please suggest me to choose appropriate WiFi+BLE module which should be in range of 4 to 10 US Dollar and should be worked with Intel Quark x1000 SoC?

Please let me know any information as quickly as possible.

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Ritesh_Prajapati,

Sergey used an Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 in http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergey-s-blog/intelgalileo-addingwifi, this board has both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and might be of your interest as it has been verified to work with Galileo. Nevertheless, there are some other cards that can be used with Galileo. I suggest you to read the document that he wrote about how to use a wireless card with Galileo (the link above).

-Peter.
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Thanks for Reply.

Actually, I looked some of Mini PCIe based WiFi modules as well as also looked modules which you provided in link in last reply but it will become too much costly for us to use Mini PCIe module interface for our custom board development based on Intel Quark x1000 SoC.

Also, we will have plan to SDIO Interface for board boot-up from SD card so that we can not use SDIO Interface based WiFi module for our board and also i looked into some galileo specifications and found that we can use either SDIO or eMMC at a time.

So, I have only Mini PCIe or USB based WiFi+BLE module to create WiFi Interface into my custom board and Mini PCIe module becomes too much costly for us as I have seen some mini PCIe based module price.

Would you please suggest any cheaper mini PCIe module or any USB based WiFi Module which has both 802.11 b/g/n WiFi + BLE 4.X support?

Please let me know if you need any more informations from my-side.

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

idata
Community Manager

Hi Ritesh,

The Wi-Fi cards mentioned in the link I posted are the ones that have been officially tested with Galileo. Nevertheless, you could try to search for a cheaper option on your own but they might require you to install their drivers.

If you find another option, I invite you to share it with the community so other users can check it as well.

-Peter.
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply.

I have also one "Atheros Wireless Mini-PCIe WiFi Lan 11abg Card AR5BXB6" WiFi module and also tested same on Intel Galileo Gen 2 boards with STATION and AP mode which works fine without any issue. I have also tested same module by connecting external antenna into Main Slot and it gives me high operating range which is sufficient for our Gateway Product purpose.

My concern always comes at price point as the price of that module is arround 20 $ which is so much costly for my product.

Below is reference link of that module

https://www.amazon.com/Atheros-Wireless-Mini-PCIe-11abg-AR5BXB6/dp/B00HHF4DYA Amazon.com: Atheros Wireless Mini-PCIe WiFi Lan 11abg Card AR5BXB6: Computers & Accessories

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_11a/b/g_Wireless_LAN_Mini_Express_Adapter ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini Express Adapter - ThinkWiki

Please let me know if you need any more information for that.

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

idata
Community Manager

The only wireless cards I know that have been tested on Galileo are those I've mentioned before. The Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 135 seems to be the one that suits your budget best.

However, you could search for other wireless cards in http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/wireless-product-selection-guide.html. Nevertheless, you might require to add drivers to your image in order to make them work.

-Peter.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your Reply.

I have checked price of "Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 135" module which is around 7 $ which is also too much costly for our product. Because, Mini PCIe Interface connection will also create extra cost on our board to make it. So, Our last option will be to choose USB based WiFi+BLE module to fulfill our requirement.

Please let me know if you have any more information or links for USB based WiFi+BLE module.

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

idata
Community Manager

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any USB based module. So, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for which one you could use. Nevertheless, I encourage you to post your findings here once you have chosen which module to use, other users might benefit from this information.

-Peter.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Peter,

Thanks for Reply.

Sure. I will definitely post reply with helpful informations once I will find and choose any WiFi+BLE module which will fit as per our custom board requirement based on Intel Quark x1000 SoC.

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati