cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Need help to connect SD Card and WiFi Module over SDIO in sharing option

Hi,

I have started to work on Intel Galileo Gen 2 board and we are planning to create our product based on Intel Quark x1000 SoC as Gateway Product.

I am thinking to boot firmware from SD card and for that i need SDIO interface. Also, we have requirement to use WiFi+BLE module as well in my product. We have checked both PCIe as well as USB dongle WiFi modules which are not suitable for us due to our total product cost perspective.

So, We are planning to use Ampak or other modules over SDIO interface but SDIO interface is already used in SD/eMMC card to boot firmware.

is there any other way to share SDIO interface to use both SD card and WiFi+BLE module on SDIO interface as a chip select option?

Please provide me any feedback that its possible or not if anyone has any idea or clue for that.

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Ritesh,

This is an interesting question. I believe what you're trying to achieve is not possible based on what I could find in the Quark datasheet http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-datasheet.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-datasheet.html . Section 17 talks about SDIO. At the very beginning of this section it says that the Quark provides a SDIO controller that supports a single port configurable as a SDIO 3.0 interface.

Looking deeper into this section there's also the interface signals table. The information provided here doesn't show a chip select signal that would enable connecting multiple devices to that port. I looked a little more into that section and found table 110. One of the features says that Multi SD/SDIO card Slots is not supported, so it seems that's not possible to connect both the SD card and the Wi-Fi module to that specific interface.

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for providing information.

So, its seems like I can use either SD Card or WiFi Module on SDIO Interface as mentioned "Multi SD/SDIO card Slots is not supported" in Table 110 of section 17.2 in quark x1000 Datasheet. is it correct?

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

idata
Community Manager

Hi Ritesh

In this case, what's important to check would be if the Wi-Fi Module meets the SDIO card specification version 3.0. If all the requirements of this specification are met then it should be possible to interface your Wi-Fi module.

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Hi Sergio,

Then I can not use SD Card over SDIO Interface as its already used for WiFi Module. It means I can only use either SD Card or WiFi Module over SDIO Interface but not both of them. is it correct?

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

idata
Community Manager

Yes, that's correct.

-Sergio