cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Need help to create custom board based on Intel x1000 Quark SoC

Hi,

I am planning to create my custom board based on Intel Quark x1000 SoC for one of our IoT based Product. I have started to create meta-clanton based Yocto Image and tested it on Intel Galileo Gen 2board which works fine without any issue.

Right Now, I am using SD card to boot my firmware into Intel Galileo Gen 2 Kit. But, I want to understand how LSPI flash is configured, managed and which types of images are stored into that LSPI flash to boot kernel image, initrd and full file system which is stored into SD card.

I have looked some basic informations about flash layout of LSPI NOR Flash but need some more details for that.

Please provide me answers of some following questions regarding LSPI memory if anyone has.

1) how to flash cap file as well as other required files to start any Intel Quark x1000 SoC based board?

2) is there any programmer or tool required to flash required files into LSPI Flash for custom board based on Intel Quark x100 SoC?

Please let me know required steps or configurations into LSPI flash for my custom board development

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Ritesh

1. This procedure is described in Section 10 of the Quark BSP 1.2.1. There's a step by step guide on how to start your board.
  2. You can use a DediProg* SF100 SPI Flash Programmer and the associated flashing software to program your board. This procedure is described in Section 11 if the same guide we mentioned above.
This document also has lots of information that is relevant to the questions you ask in other threads. Read this document thoroughly as it might provide some insight on how to move on with your project.

Quark BSP 1.2.1 link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-bsp-build-sw-rel-user-gui... http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-bsp-build-sw-rel-user-gui...

Let us know if this is what you were looking for

-Sergio

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for Quick Reply.

is there any other way to flash cap or bin file into SPI Flash memory without using Dediprog Programmer and its tool? Because, we have plan to Intel Galileo Gen 2 Kit only for Demo purpose of our Product. Once Demo will be passed successfully without any issue then we have plan to create our custom board based on Intel Quark x1000 SoC.

Also, we are planning to put boot folder, zImage, Initrd and full ext3 formatted file systems into SD card and kernel with Initrd and full file system will be started from SD card because full file system size will be around 500 MB due to JAVA and other supports. So that SPI Flash memory is required to start grub loader and boot zImage as per grub.conf file.

So, Please provide me any other method to flash cap or bi file into SPI flash memory if you have informations for that.

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Yes, the other method is explained in section 10 of the BSP we shared in our previous post. Section 10 "Programming Flash on the Board Using Serial Interface" doesn't involve a DediProg. The DediProg approach on section 11 is another option you can use, is not mandatory.

Let us know if this is what you were looking for.

-Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for providing informations.

I will check section 10 from my side and will let you know later if need any help regarding this post. But, I have one doubt that can i program capsule file or binary file into x1000 quark custom fresh board using section 10 because i have looked some steps into section 10 and i thought that steps are just to update capsule or binary file?

can you please confirm that?

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Ritesh,

According to the BSP you can "Use the capsule update mechanism described in Section 10 to program the SPI flash on your board." You can see this in section 8 of the BSP:

This screenshot suggests how to use each file and which section to follow to program your board.

Let me know if you found this useful.

-Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Sergio,

As i have checked Schematic of Intel Galieo Gen 2 board and found that LSPI NOR Flash W25Q64FV_8P is used as 8 MB SPI Flash memory. Also, we have one MAX Loader Flash Programmer tool to flash most of Windbond and other Flash memory.

I will double confirm that MAX Loader tool is supporting Windbond W25Q64FV_8P IC or not.

Do you have any idea about MAX Loader Flash Programmer tool or have you used that tool before? It will be good for me if you can help me to check that will it worked if I flash capsule or binary file from starting offset 0x0 using MAX Loader Tool?

Please let me know if you have any idea or information for that as quickly as possible.

Regards,

Ritesh Prajapati

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I've never used the Max Loader Tool. It should work similarly to other Flash programmer tools, but in this case I'd suggest you to contact the Max loader support http://www.eetools.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.contactUS http://www.eetools.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.contactUS for specific questions about this device.

-Sergio

0 Kudos