Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Need help with SD image instructions

Jump to solution

Hey guys,

Been having a difficult time getting my galileo gen 2 up and running.

I simply need a yocto image with a standard build toolset (gcc, ..) and the ability to install deb/rpm/(smart?)/(ipk?) packages if possible. I will be needing to create my own packages containing go binaries that I plan to cross-compile using gccgo.

Questions:

1. Does such a yocto image exist, or do I need to build it using `bitbake`? I am under the impression that you need to bitbake your own image if you want the smart package manager or to have deb/rpm support. Is this true?

2. What is the best yocto image to use for this purpose? Any recommendations? I'd rather not build my own image if possible.

3. When I burn the SD image ./iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-galileo-20160606.direct which I downloaded using the instructions below, the galileo won't boot (or at least, I don't see it getting a DHCP lease from my router like it has in the past with a different image).

Are these the correct instructions?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-galileo-linux-step1 IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software

I got the download link for the .direct image mentioned above from https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/galileo/downloads IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Download | Intel® Software , specifically https://software.intel.com/galileo-image/latest https://software.intel.com/galileo-image/latest .

I am on ubuntu and using a 32gb SD card. I follow the instructions to create a single FAT partition on the SD card and then write the image to the partition (e.g. /dev/sdb1) using dd. Instead of manually creating the FAT partition and formatting said partition, I have also tried using the SDFormatter application for OSX, which didn't seem to affect my results.

This is what my SD looks like, for reference.

Disk /dev/sdb: 31.1 GB, 31104958464 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3781 cylinders, total 60751872 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sdb1 8192 60751871 30371840 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Can anyone assist? Really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Hi mrpentagon,

mrpentagon wrote:

Hey guys,

I simply need a yocto image with a standard build toolset (gcc, ..) and the ability to install deb/rpm/(smart?)/(ipk?) packages if possible.

The yocto image provided by Intel includes de standard build toolset. I don't know about "...deb/rpm/..." ... if you are referring to Linux debian packages I think you won't be able to install them directly in yocto... it's a different (and non-compatible AFAIK) Linux distribution.

1. Does such a yocto image exist, or do I need to build it using `bitbake`? I am under the impression that you need to bitbake your own image if you want the smart package manager or to have deb/rpm support. Is this true?

I've not used the smart package, but I found a specific thread on that:

2. What is the best yocto image to use for this purpose? Any recommendations? I'd rather not build my own image if possible.

I've not made it... but I think it's worth trying with the official-Intel provided yocto image, so you don't have to build your own.

I think that you are having too much trouble with the yocto image (you are using the right one, I think) so as to open a specific thread on that. Once you have the yocto image in an "up&runnung" SD, then I suggest you move on the package issue/s.

HTH,

Fernando.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Hi mrpentagon,

mrpentagon wrote:

Hey guys,

I simply need a yocto image with a standard build toolset (gcc, ..) and the ability to install deb/rpm/(smart?)/(ipk?) packages if possible.

The yocto image provided by Intel includes de standard build toolset. I don't know about "...deb/rpm/..." ... if you are referring to Linux debian packages I think you won't be able to install them directly in yocto... it's a different (and non-compatible AFAIK) Linux distribution.

I've not used the smart package, but I found a specific thread on that:

I've not made it... but I think it's worth trying with the official-Intel provided yocto image, so you don't have to build your own.

I think that you are having too much trouble with the yocto image (you are using the right one, I think) so as to open a specific thread on that. Once you have the yocto image in an "up&runnung" SD, then I suggest you move on the package issue/s.

HTH,

Fernando.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

about:

I will be needing to create my own packages containing go binaries that I plan to cross-compile using gccgo.

I'm not sure that it is possible.

GO requires to have MMX support (as you may check in GO sources https://github.com/golang/go/blob/master/src/runtime/asm_386.s# L45 go/asm_386.s at master · golang/go · GitHub ):

But Galileo's Quark CPU does not support MMX.

BR,

xbolshe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi, xbolshe

I just came cross your reply.

You mentioned that Go is not supported by Galileo as Go requires MMX.

I am wondering if this is truth or I can have other options for Galileo to support Go.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor II

Hi AU_yzy0050,

as I have shown on a picture above Go compiled from a source code located on Github does not work on Galileo board.

You may compile it by yourself to check is it truth or not.

In the documentation https://golang.org/doc/install/source Installing Go from source - The Go Programming Language you may find that

GO386=387: use x87 for floating point operations; should support all x86 chips (Pentium MMX or later).

A string about MMX support you may find in a source code:

https://github.com/golang/go/blob/master/src/runtime/asm_386.s# L173 go/asm_386.s at master · golang/go · GitHub

As I saw in the Go's source code it uses MMX & AES command set which is not implemented in Quark CPU.

It means that a lot of work need to be done to replace unsupported x86 commands by some equivalents.

Potentially it is possible to do. Also such a solution will work slower.

BR,

xbolshe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

xbolshe, yes, you are right.

I cross compiled a simple program to test it. It did not work on this chip.

I appreciate your reply.

0 Kudos