Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JJose22
Novice

No HDMI output on Joule 570x

Verified that the HDMI cable works as well as the monitor but I do not have any HDMI output. I do have output from the serial device. Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
JJose22
Novice

Using the command line tools, I noticed that the 570x was not detecting the display. Removing the HDMI cable and then reinserting it made the system recognize the display.

Michael_M_Intel1
Employee

I've seen the same problem, but it depends on the monitor. Some monitors are no problem, others don't want to cooperate. I also only see the problem with the carrier board included in the development kit. I happen to have a different carrier I am working on, and I have never had this problem, so the problem seems specific to the HDMI implementation on the carrier in the dev kit.... not the Joule module itself.

Fixes to try: (1) plugging in the monitor AFTER booting (2) plugging/unplugging after booting (3) running the HDMI cable through an HDMI amp or powered splitter (4) if using an HDMI monitor powered off USB, use a powered USB hub connected to the Joule rather than a separate power supply (there can be a problem with grounds not being consistent if an external power adapter is used; I don't know if this is the problem here, but I've seen it before with portable USB-powered monitors).

If (1) or (2) works for you, great! (3) costs extra but is handy when travelling and you know you will need to plug into some unknown monitor/projector for demos with limited time to sort out issues. (4) is specific to portable USB-driven monitors.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Josephwinstoniii,

Did you try McCool suggestions? (Thanks by the way)

Let us know if they worked.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

-Leonardo
JJose22
Novice

I don't have an HDMI amp or splitter, but connecting the monitor after the boot of the reference OS works.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Josephwinstoniii,

Thank you so much for letting us know.

Remember that we are here to help you, just contact us.

Regards,

-Leonardo
MPart2
Beginner

Dear all,

HDMI output is also not working for me and the suggestions above sadly did not change anything (I didn't try a HDMI amp since I don't have one). I can access the Joule over serial console just fine (running pre-installed Ostro Linux) but no signal on the monitor. Monitor+Cable are working with other computers.

Any other suggestions what I could try? I bought the Joule explicitly for one particular use case requiring a working monitor, so this is kind of a deal-breaker for me.

Thanks for your help!

Michael

JJose22
Novice

Please try:

1. Boot the Joule up without connecting the HDMI

2. Plug in the monitor

3. Run "xrandr -q"

See if the monitor is detected and if the resolution is correct. If the resolution is not right follow the example at http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/227876/how-to-set-custom-resolution-using-xrandr-when-the-re... command line - How to set custom resolution using xrandr when the resolution is not available in 'Display Settings' - Un…

MPart2
Beginner

Hi Joseph,

Thanks a lot for your quick and helpful answer! Sadly it seems that the display is not recognized at all:

root@intel-corei7-64:~# xrandr -q

Can't open display

root@intel-corei7-64:~#

When I plug in the HDMI cable the monitor changes from "Check cable connection" to "No video input" so at least the monitor realizes that something changed but HDMI handshake seems to fail completely.

Do you have any other suggestions or options I could try?

Thank you very much!

Michael

JJose22
Novice

I don't have my joule with me today, so I'm flying blind.

Is the DISPLAY environment set at any time? If not "export DISPLAY=:0.0" and try xrandr with the monitor connected.

MPart2
Beginner

DISPLAY is not set, when I do set it and plug the monitor in, this is what I get (takes around 1-2 minutes):

root@intel-corei7-64:~# printenv | grep DISPLAY

root@intel-corei7-64:~# export DISPLAY=:0.0

root@intel-corei7-64:~# xrandr -q

Can't open display :0.0

root@intel-corei7-64:~#

I'll buy another (shorter) HDMI cable tomorrow and test that, maybe the HDMI output of the Joule is just to weak/low quality to work as I'm using a quite long cable (around 5 meters). Since I eventually plan to install Ubuntu I need HDMI to work on boot already as the Ubuntu installation procedure seems to require that.

In the the meantime, if you have any further ideas please do let me know!

MPart2
Beginner

I now tested with a different, short HDMI cable but still no signal. Anyone here from Intel who can comment on this issue?

Best,

Michael

idata
Community Manager

Hi Michael,

We have just sent a message to your user, can you check it please?

We will be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

-Leonardo
TBerg7
Beginner

Was this solved for Michael?

I have the same problem. I have tried all the suggestions in this thread but no luck.

Any ideas how I could get the HDMI output working?

I've been trying with "Ostro OS XT 1.0+snapshot-20161014"

idata
Community Manager

Hi Tony_Bergh,

Let us investigate more about this to assist you in a better way. We will let you know when we have updates.

Best Regards,

-Leonardo
TBerg7
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

In the end it was my cable of course (or rather the HDMI joint I was using). I get HDMI output now and have successfully installed Ubuntu Desktop following the instructions from https://developer.ubuntu.com/core/get-started/intel-joule https://developer.ubuntu.com/core/get-started/intel-joule.

Thanks,

Tony

idata
Community Manager

Hi Tony_Bergh,

That's great! Thank you for letting us know.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.
MPart2
Beginner

Dear all,

I just wanted to report back for anyone reading this thread in the future that I just tried my monitor again with a new Joule+Dev board and also more recent Bios and Ref-IoT-Linux-OS-thingy (instead of Ostro) and it worked on first try! HDMI cable, power supply, ... were all the same.

I suggest anyone having issues with HDMI to try again with latest OS and Bios, maybe a new Dev-board, and quite possible things just magically work!

It's always a good sign if you come back to something that did not work a few month ago and it now suddenly just works out of the box

Best

Michael

idata
Community Manager

Hi Michael,

That's awesome! Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Michael,

I have updated the lastest Bios version and try to install Ubuntu Desktop 16.04, but I receive a error below when I try to do it, please check.

error: no suitable video mode found.

error: no suitable video mode found.

Booting in blind mode

I think the micro hdmi has still not worked.@ michael_p

Thanks a lot,

Conner

JLamo
Beginner

Hi,

I have the same kind of problem :

when I boot Ubuntu 16.04 with the HDMI plugged, The USB serial debug doesn't tell me "no video mode found",

but nothing happens on the monitor.

I tried with BIOS 193 and BIOS 1J2, nothing changes.

I tried with a HP EliteDisplay E202 and E232.

My HDMI cable is the Molex 68786-0001.

I tried unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable after boot.

What can I try to make it work?

Best Regards.

Jérôme.