Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RBoec
Beginner

No Sleep Mode available after clean Windows 10 x86 installation?

Hi there,

I made a clean installation of Windows 10 x86 and also installed all available drivers. All devices are identified and working in the Windows device manager.

However the only power options I´ve got is "shutdown" and "restart". There is no option to put the computer in standby / sleep mode. This option also cannot be enabled in the Power Options in Windows.

Am I missing some drivers here or is it simply not possible to put this device in sleep/standby?

Thanks!

[EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention I have the STK1AW32SCR ]

Robert

0 Kudos
25 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, RobertBoeckel:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I would like to know, what do you see on the device manager? Meaning if you see any yellow triagles meaning that some drivers are missing or devices are not recognized.

Additionally, at BIOS level, please make sure you have selected "Performance" under power management.

Also, you could check this article related to this scenario and test the troubleshooting there (to change power settings): http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_perf/why-windows-10-buttons-a... Why windows 10 buttons are missing sleep and hibernate command? - Microsoft Community

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

GPuzy
Beginner

Hi,

I bought the new stick (cherry trail) last weekend and also don't have sleep and hibernate options. I upgraded bios and installed the 3 driver packages available on support site but still no sleep or hibernate options. Please look into that. There are no yellow triangles in device manager.

Regards,

Grzegorz

RBoec
Beginner

Hi there,

the device manaer shows all devices as identified, no yellow triangles.

As suggested I checked the Microsoft community article about missing sleep options. For that i entered "powercfg -a", which confirms that standby is not available in the system.

Also at bios level for the compute stick, i didnt find any settings for power management.

My guess is, there is some driver missing, which seems to be not listed on the intel driver website.

Can you help me with that?

Thanks,

Robert

Ronny_G_Intel

Hello All,

Please check the following documentation at: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25637/eng/STK1AW32SC_STK1A32SC_TechProdSpec05.pdf https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25637/eng/STK1AW32SC_STK1A32SC_TechProdSpec05.pdf page # 14, table 4.

Only S0-Working and S5-Soft off power states are supported.

Regards,

Ronny G

GPuzy
Beginner

Thank you for pointing that out rguevara. But does it really mean that the only way to power on the stick is to reach behind the tv and blindly look for it and its power switch? That seems ridiculous! I never would have bought it had I known that! Other than that the stick totally suits my needs and I was hoping a bios update would sort it out. Do you know if the core m3 version supports something as basic as sleep and wake up from usb?

RChan36
Beginner

I have this exact problem, there is no sleep mode and seems like I have to reach behind the TV to turn this stick on and off, it is ridiculous as my TV is mounted quite high up on the wall.

AlHill
Super User

I have sleep mode as indicated in this thread:

Doc

AlHill
Super User

Back when I updated Windows 10 on my stick, I did update system devices as I described in this thread:

If you scroll down to where I used a Microsoft utility to show/hide updates, I describe the process there. It may be that one or more of the devices need to be updated.

Just a guess.

Doc

GPuzy
Beginner

@Al Hill Please read whole comments in this thread. Both me and RobertBoeckel wrote that we have the new version of the stick that came out this year. rguevara pointed us to intel documentation that clearly states that this stick does not support sleep. Why do you think that we should pursue a thread that describes your process of upgrading windows 10 and how you got some device updated for the previous generation of the stick? Our sticks came with windows 10 and the newest windows build is working without any magic tricks with cache. Sorry for sounding a bit offensive but my frustration is mainly at intel for releasing a stick without sleep support and I am sorry for ranting at you I know that it might be confusing but know that there are now 2 versions of the stick - last year's model (apparently supporting sleep) and this year's with updated processor (apparently without sleep...)

AlHill
Super User

Still, it would not hurt for you to update the devices as I described. If you do try to do this, make sure you have a backup of your data.

Doc

GPuzy
Beginner

I noticed that Intel released a new BIOS for our stick with one of the additions:

Enabled C States.

I hoped it would be the sleeping state but nothing seems to have changed in this regard. Can someone from Intel check which states have been enabled and maybe if sleep is something that could still be added or is totally out of question (hardware limitation)?

dsad
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, GrzegorzP:

As per the answer provided by rguevara previously, Only S0-Working and S5-Soft off power states are supported.

I did update the BIOS of the unit we have in here (to 0023) and the supported power states are the ones available to use (S0-working / S5-Soft off).

As of now, I cannot assure you if this (sleep) is going to be added or not to the Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

SCoue
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

I do have the same problem (as it seems all owners of this brand new compute stick).

I think it would be good to report this issue to the Intel compute stick development team. It is indeed a quite big issue when you think about the typical intended use of such a stick! (I suspect you will receive more and more complain on this in the future).

Besides, indeed nobody would suspect such issue with a 2016 CPU!

Thanks for following up and best regards,

Sebastien

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello:

The unit was designed to work like this (disabled sleep option, turn off screen automatically after a while would be its allied/parallel for power saving options), as per the specifications previously provided the C-states available would be S0-working / S5-Soft off.

However; Let me get this reviewed to see if there is a chance to get the feature added or not.

As soon as I get a response on this I will let you know.

Regards,

Esteban C

SCoue
Beginner

Hi Estaban,

Thanks for your feedback.

I understand the idea of course: the unit consumes very little power. However it is still much more nice to have the user make this choice. This is also a better option maybe in terms of component wear.?

Anyway, I will wait for your feedback on this one.

Thanks and regards,

Sebastien

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Sebcouet:

Thank you for your answer on this.

Yes it is understandable, as soon as I get a resolution on this, I will let you know.

Regards,

Esteban C

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Sebcouet:

This is currently under review still, as soon as I get an update, I will let you know.

Regards,

Esteban C

SCoue
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

Any news on the topic ?

Thanks and regards,

Sebastien

Chris_V_Intel

For both, STK1AW32SCx, and STK1A32SC models, this is what is supported:

S0-Working system (not sleep )

S1-Monitor sleeps

S4-Hibernate

S5-Power off.

GPuzy
Beginner

@cvare So how do I activate Hibernate on my stick? In windows 10 I can only shut down or restart the stick...