cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SRasa
Valued Contributor I

No power from USB port to USB audio cards

Hello,

I connected USB audio card to the USB port but it does not get powered up.I am using Ubilinux.

10 Replies
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Sriranjan,

Have you checked this post from AlexT_Intel about how to play audio on your Edison? How to play audio on Edison - instructions. You can try to make it work with the Ubilinux image if you don't want to work with the Yocto image, but I would suggest you to contact the support team at EmutexLabs as they are the ones in charge of that image and I believe they can give a more accurate answer.

http://www.emutexlabs.com/forum/index EmutexLabs Forums

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

SRasa
Valued Contributor I

I followed Alext's blog but could not make the edison recognize the codec shield as an alsa device.

SRasa
Valued Contributor I

I rolled back to Yocto but still I do not get any power from the USB port to the Audio card.

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Sriranjan,

1. Did you make sure to flip SW1 (the switch between the standard USB port and the micro USB ports) closer to the standard USB port? Are you powering up your board with an external power supply?
  2. What output do you get after entering lsmod in the terminal? Could you please share a screenshot?
  3. What device are you hooking up to the USB port?

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

SRasa
Valued Contributor I

I tried by flipping the switch but it did not work. Also should I set the J9 jumper to shield 5V? Does this have an effect?I am hooking up a USB audio card to the USB port.I will post the output of lsmod.

Ranjan

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Sriranjan,

The J9 jumper shouldn't make any difference, so I don't think that's the problem.

1. What audio device are you using?
  2. Did you already loaded the necessary drivers for it to work?
  3. Did you already run the lsmod command? What was the result?

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

DFowl2
Beginner

I may have the same issues...

I am hooking an Arduino Nano to the Host USB port, the standard sized connector next to the power jack. I have the switch set toward this connector, am powering the Edison Arduino board with 12V.

root@edison:~# lsmod

Module Size Used by

bcm4334x 587105 0

root@edison:~#

What is my next step?

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi uCHobby,

Could you please check the output of lsusb? And please take a picture of the log so we can see what you're getting. If something's connected and the board recognize it, it should appear in the log.

Regards,

Pablo

DFowl2
Beginner

Pablo,

Thanks for looking into this. It would take me a while to get setup for this again but I will if you have the need for it.

I picked up a new Edison and flashed it with the latest firmware and it powered up the USB as expected. I did not get to test it as I had move one and found a way around the need of USB host for the hackathon. It could be some differnece in hardware although I was told by a responsible Intel engineer that there is not hardware changes for the Edison, not since it's first production. I got the first Edison at the first IoT Roadshow in Austin.

I did try two older boards, neither worked on USB so it's not likely that it was a hardware failure...

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi uCHobby,

Great to hear that you were able to come up with a workaround for this issue. And yes, if you feel like it's no longer necessary to look into this issue you don't need to mount your project again. But if you're still interested feel free to post your results in here and we will try to help you.

Regards,

Pablo