cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PSriv1
Novice

Not able to ping galileo gen 2 board

Jump to solution

Hi, so I was trying to set up my ssh connection to my galileo gen2 board by connecting an ethernet cable directly from my board to my laptop but I am not able to. In order to see if my connection was setup or not, I was trying to ping the board from my laptop which I am not able to do and the error comes as "destination host unreachable". The sketch that I am using to set up is:

void setup()

{

// put your setup code here, to run once:

system("telnetd -l /bin/sh"); //Start the telnet server on Galileo

system("ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.69 netmask 255.255.0.0 up");

}

void loop(){}

Now in this thread it was stated to put the static ip for board as 169.254.x.x. I tried doing that(eg 169.254.1.1) but wasn't able to setup my connection. After that I tried assigning the static ip to my board in the range which my router is assigning to my laptop(laptop's ip: 192.168.1.15), so I assigned it 192.168.1.69 but still it didn't work and I couldn't ping my board. My laptop is connected to internet through wifi and the I've checked that the ip assigned to my laptop is always (192.168.1.15), even when I reboot(is there any other way to check if my router is assigning me a static ip? Would that matter?) I've booted from SD card image provided on intel and it's working fine because blink sketch persists even after I reboot the board, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Kindly let me know if there's any fundamental mistake that I am making while trying to set up the connection.

1 Solution
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

What image are you using, the standard Yocto or the IoT version?

To connect to ssh you first need to have an IP assigned to your board. You can assign it manually as you are doing in your script or through DHCP.

Make sure that your computer and your board are in the same network. You say that your computer's IP address is 192.168.1.15 and if there is a way to check if your router is assigning you a static IP. To know that you can go to your router's settings, most likely it is going to be configured in DHCP and if your computer is connected to the network you'll see your computer in the list of leased IPs. Some routers have an option to allow the user to always receive the same IP address through DHCP. Check on your routers settings for this. Once you know your computers IP assign a proper IP to your board using ifconfig. Make sure the IP address you assign isn't being leased by the router to another device.

Check out reply 11 from the thread you posted and follow the suggestion on how to connect.

You can also see

Sergio

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

What image are you using, the standard Yocto or the IoT version?

To connect to ssh you first need to have an IP assigned to your board. You can assign it manually as you are doing in your script or through DHCP.

Make sure that your computer and your board are in the same network. You say that your computer's IP address is 192.168.1.15 and if there is a way to check if your router is assigning you a static IP. To know that you can go to your router's settings, most likely it is going to be configured in DHCP and if your computer is connected to the network you'll see your computer in the list of leased IPs. Some routers have an option to allow the user to always receive the same IP address through DHCP. Check on your routers settings for this. Once you know your computers IP assign a proper IP to your board using ifconfig. Make sure the IP address you assign isn't being leased by the router to another device.

Check out reply 11 from the thread you posted and follow the suggestion on how to connect.

You can also see

Sergio

View solution in original post

PSriv1
Novice

Hi, I am using the IoT eglibc based image. And instead of trying to connect the board directly to the computer, I tried the other alternative of connecting the board to the router and then following the steps as listed in this http://intel-software-academic-program.com/courses/diy/Intel_Academic_-_DIY_-_InternetOfThings/Intel... http://intel-software-academic-program.com/courses/diy/Intel_Academic_-_DIY_-_InternetOfThings/Intel...… which was specified in one of the links suggested by you. I was able to connect to the board and ssh to it as well.

Thanks for the help!