Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9868 Discussions

OPKG upgrade runs out of space - not good

HFeld
Beginner

So I get that the "opkg upgrade" in general is not a recommended command, but seriously? This is an iOT device, and the security on most iOT devices is terrible, and we read daily about flaws allowing breaches, and one way to keep an iOT secure is to make sure you are running upgraded libraries and utilities. I mean lets imagine I build a home security system, and heart bleed is a device vulnerability do I not do upgrades? Do I need to individually figure out what every library on the system that might depend on the vulnerability is or do I just ship my flawed home security device? (not that I couldn't take the time to figure out all the dependencies, but that's why we have a package manager in the first place!) If I didn't keep my RHEL boxes up to date, and we had an intrusion I'd be liable if we didn't do upgrades, etc, well this should have the same rules (it's a linux box after all)... What do folks think?

4 Replies
SMoy1
New Contributor I

If one starts with the default BSP included packages, it is a slippery slope because it includes all these development tools in the image. If its a IoT product, one will start stripping all the non-essential packages, sftp, gcc, vi? probably not needed. After all that downsizing, hopefully you have a fighting chance of ~ 2GB flash storage and enough to do opkg upgrade.

Reality is that 4GB flash space is tight with the ever fattening software. A lot of work needs to be done to minimize the storage requirement of the edison image of your shipping IoT device.

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi henryhbk,

Thank you for your feedback, yes if you want to upgrade a package/library you must do it one by one. I'm assuming you are using the AlexT's repo -> http://repo.opkg.net/edison/repo/ Index of /edison/repo

One way to find which packages are available to be upgraded is by running the commands:

root@edison:~# opkg update

root@edison:~# opkg list-upgradable

Regards,

Charlie

KEckh
Valued Contributor III

Warning: I have not done much in awhile with Edison, so maybe the absolute latest stuff fixed some of these issues.

But I believe even with the 2.1 main release it did not fully expand the boot segment to the full size, which used to give me these types of issues.

But AlexT had a web page that showed how to update to new built kernel, which included instructions on how to update to get the full size of boot...

I have my own sort of wiki page up here that I use to remind myself the steps I go through to setup board after I flash, which does this:

Again warning, maybe (hopefully) they have already addressed this.

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi henryhbk ,

Did you try with opkg list-upgradable?

Did you check Kurt's wiki/thread?

Regards,

Charlie