Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AAlex34
Beginner

OTA Firmware Upgrade without Computer

Jump to solution

Hello!

I want to upgrade the firmware on my Intel Edison by hisself.

The old way is to copy the extracted files from the downloaded archive to the virtual USB Flash Drive (Edison).

Then you need to run "reboot ota" over ssh or serial connection and the upgrade is going to start (without the help of a computer).

Because the firmware is too big (> 1.4 GB) for the virtual Flash Drive (768 MB)

today, you start the firmware upgrade from the computer by running the script "./flashall.sh"

But i want to update the edison without a computer.

I tried to copy the compressed zip image to the virtual usb drive and run

configure_edison --flashFile

but it didn't workd (an error something like "Cannot setup loop device" occured)

Then i tried do run directly

configure_edison --upgrade

but it also cancled with error:

Could not determine firmware version information.

Could not upgrade device firmware. Quitting.

list index out of range

Do anyone have an idea how to upgrade edison firmware without a computer?

Thank you very much!

Best regards

PS: Sorry for my bad english

PPS: To say it short: I want to do a firmware upgrade without a computer, just per remote connection and if need: per external flash drive (like usb stick or sd card).

Because later, i want to put it in a case that isn't openable.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hello pelzfrucht,

I've an idea that might be able to help you but you will have to build your own image and strip it from all the packages that are not required in your project. If you do so, you will be able to build an image that is shorter in size and you'll be able to inset it into the Edison's drive. If you would like to learn how to build a Yocto image and how to modify it, I'd suggest you to read the following documents:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005616.html

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.7.2/mega-manual/mega-manual.html

Once you have created an image that both fits your needs and is able to fit in Edison's drive, you will have to create a similar method of updating to "configure_edison --upgrade". I mean, as you mentioned, there was a method of updating the image that was similar to an over the air (OTA) update. Since you would like to update the Edison through a remote connection I'd suggest you to read this section of "configure_edison". You can find the source file of configure_edison in /usr/bin/configure_edison.

I hope this information helps.

-Peter.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello pelzfrucht,

I've an idea that might be able to help you but you will have to build your own image and strip it from all the packages that are not required in your project. If you do so, you will be able to build an image that is shorter in size and you'll be able to inset it into the Edison's drive. If you would like to learn how to build a Yocto image and how to modify it, I'd suggest you to read the following documents:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005616.html

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.7.2/mega-manual/mega-manual.html

Once you have created an image that both fits your needs and is able to fit in Edison's drive, you will have to create a similar method of updating to "configure_edison --upgrade". I mean, as you mentioned, there was a method of updating the image that was similar to an over the air (OTA) update. Since you would like to update the Edison through a remote connection I'd suggest you to read this section of "configure_edison". You can find the source file of configure_edison in /usr/bin/configure_edison.

I hope this information helps.

-Peter.

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

Hello pelzfrucht,

Do you have any updates for this case? Do you still need help?

-Peter.
AAlex34
Beginner

Hi Peter,

thank you!

Sorry. I forgot to answer because I am currently at holiday and I am back next week.

But the idea looks good and i am going to try it next or after next week.

Best regards

Alexander