Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DEric1
Beginner

Onboard reformating of Edison partitions?

Jump to solution

I have the same problem as a number of other people here, I want to be able to load larger images into the Edison than the /update partition natively supports. The good news is that flashall and the dfu connection works. The bad news is: A number of my Edisons are in places where I will not be able to access them with a usb cable, so I really have to find a way to do this onboard.

From browsing this forum, I found that I could easily both mount and repartition the /update partition, but a: The new partition still only addresses the same space as it did before. It doesn't seem to know that it has grown bigger, and b: The /home partition seems to follow right behind the /update partition, so when I grow /update, guess what? Yeah, I bomb the /home partition. At least I have now learned how to unbrick an edison .

All leading down to: Is there a way to move /home before I play with /update? Is there a way to reformat or whatever /update so it gets the full space? Or is it just not possible to upload images remotely?

1 Solution
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi notinventedhere,

The only way to upload a new image is re-flashing the module with the Flash Tool Lite (or the flashall method). This means that you would have to use the USB port to flash the module. Unfortunately, there isn't a remote way to do it.

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi notinventedhere,

The only way to upload a new image is re-flashing the module with the Flash Tool Lite (or the flashall method). This means that you would have to use the USB port to flash the module. Unfortunately, there isn't a remote way to do it.

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

DEric1
Beginner

Hi, Diego.

Thanks for the prompt answer - even if it wasn't exactly the answer I wanted.

Just to get creative here:

Would it be possible to create a custom image that would be small enough to fit in /update so I can actually _ota it, and in that image include a new partition table? So I'd essentially load 2 images. The first image would be just to upload a new partition scheme, the second being the actual image?

Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi notinventedhere,

That wouldn't be possible. Although, you could built a new image and increase the partition size, however you would have to flash the new image through the Flash Tool Lite (or the flashall method). The following document might be of your interest: .

Regards,

Diego