Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AAndr46
Beginner

Operating temperature range for the Joule module

What is the operating temperature range for the Joule module? Where can I obtain a detailed data sheet that has all the electrical and timing specifications for this module?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi ashinn,

Let us investigate this, I've been doing some research but I haven't found a specific number. I can tell you for sure that it has better performance than the Edison, which has a +- 40°C temperature range. Still, I'll do some more research and I'll get back to you soon. We really appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Regards,

-Pablo
AAndr46
Beginner

Thank you Pablo, I appreciate your assistance.

idata
Community Manager

Hi ashinn,

We already have some more updates on this, I guess you would like to know. The FAQ for Joule has been updated regarding the temperature information https://software.intel.com/en-us/troubleshooting-and-faq-for-joule https://software.intel.com/en-us/troubleshooting-and-faq-for-joule.

"The Intel® Joule™ module is designed to operate normally while the Ambient Air Temperature remains between 0°C and 70°C. This assumes open air operation (no enclosure), no solar heating, and workloads that are appropriate for the cooling solution in use".

Regards,

-Pablo
AAndr46
Beginner

Hi Pablo,

Thank you for the reply, what about starting this device if it is cold, i.e. -30 Celsius it should self heat fairly quickly but will it start up?

idata
Community Manager

Hi ashinn,

Regarding your first question, I believe the Joule should start normally, however, given that you're going to perform a thermal analysis this would be a nice scenario to test.

About your second question, let me investigate a little bit more. I apologize for keeping you waiting for so long, but we want to provide the best possible answer to your questions.

Regards,

-Pablo
AAndr46
Beginner

Hi Pablo,

sorry forgot to ask, we want to do a detailed thermal analysis of the device in our enclosure, when will the detailed datasheet be available that has thermal resistance info as well as maximum junction temperature, and etc.

idata
Community Manager

Hi ashinn,

Thank you for your patience!

We haven't done any extended temperature testing, so for now we wouldn't know what the behavior would be like outside our recommended temperature range. We are still working on documentation for Joule, so please keep checking the Communities for updates on this.

Regards,

-Pablo
AAndr46
Beginner

Hey Pablo,

Great, thanks, I will keep checking the communities.

Andrew