Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9868 Discussions

Outdoor Applications

SSani
Beginner

The operating temperature of the Edison module is 0 C to 40 C (32 F to 104 F). Such a narrow operating range makes it unsuitable for outdoor applications that could be exposed to winter temperatures or the summer sun. Outdoor applications including signage, outerwear, fitness, lighting, security, automotive or equipment monitoring will often operate outside of Edison's temperature range - a sick child could have a skin temperature that's higher than the upper temperature limit of the Edison module!

So my question is: will there be an extended temperature version of the Edison module? If so, when?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi wecanmonitorit,

We are currently running some extended temperature tests on Edison, and we are feeling good about how it is performing; but at this time we are not ready to disclose the details of the ranges. Please keep monitoring the communities where we will document and announce these ranges when we are done with the testing and validation.

Regards,

JPMontero_Intel

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi wecanmonitorit,

We are currently running some extended temperature tests on Edison, and we are feeling good about how it is performing; but at this time we are not ready to disclose the details of the ranges. Please keep monitoring the communities where we will document and announce these ranges when we are done with the testing and validation.

Regards,

JPMontero_Intel

View solution in original post

VVorn
New Contributor II

Hello JPMontero_Intel,

I wanted to add that I am also highly interested in the Intel measurement results.

Your answer reads a bit like Intel had to write "0° to 40° operating temperature", since so far no measurements had been performed (so that intel is on the safe side). Is this correct? Can we expect better operating temperature values?

PMart13
Valued Contributor II

JPMontero_Intel , I too would be interested in the measurements.when you get them.

Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi IntelAnonymous and deium,

I'll let you know as soon as this information becomes available.

Regards,

JPMontero_Intel
NLecl1
Beginner

Hi JPMontero_Intel,

I have to build an outdoor device and I am waiting for this data to choose which platform it will be based. If you could please add me to your update list I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks,

tcn

MScot6
Beginner

Hi JPMontero_Intel,

Is there an update to the extended temperature range testing? We would like to use the Edison on a new project but require a 0 - 55 deg.C operating range.

Thanks.

Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi tcn, ThinkDeep, Bunsen, FenTech,

Thank you for the interest in the tests of the extended temperature range on Edison, but currently we don't have an ETA for it. We will let you know about it, as soon as it becomes available. Please be patient.

Regards,

JPMontero_Intel
DLenh
Beginner

Is there a chance to get those information till end of the year? In my eyes Intel is currently loosing a bunch of opportunities and enthusiastic makers by not releasing an Edison with an usable temperature range. Actually it is only a toy unfortunately although it has the potential for more.... So, can we ever expect a Edison with at least -10 to +55? Greetz

MMoy
New Contributor II

So, its been over a year and 3 months now to figure out the temp range. At a very minimum can you at least look at the BOM, to see what temp range parts they are using. That is a far faster solution than to actually have it tested.

idata
Community Manager

I wrote the Intel support and they said that there are no updates on the temperature range and they

also cannot tell me when this information will be available...

Furthermore I asked about undervolting and reduction of the core frequency and just got the answer

to try myself, they have no information about this...

@mikemoy: you are right, looking at the BOM is helpfull, but what is about the intel edison CPU, do you have information about it?

All the information I found was about that it is a combination of an Intel Atom and Intel Quark, but what is about its temperature range?

Flo1991

MMoy
New Contributor II

@Flo1991, I have long since left Intel Edison. It's a joke what Intel has done with it. Such a great piece of hardware that could have had great success, yet Intel just let it go.

BBeza
New Contributor I

[crickets chirping]

[grass gently waving in the breeze]

It's been over ten months since we were told that testing was already in progress, and "be patient and wait for it to be released" is turning into "wonder if Intel has just given up." Is there any hope of seeing results, or was this testing effort abandoned? I would at least like to know how quickly this thing will die if I cycle it between 0 and 65C every 90 minutes.

SRubi3
Beginner

Is there an anticipated completion date for temperature testing? We would like to consider this module for use in an underwater, remotely operated vehicle but the limited temperature range prevents us from using in an industrial environment.

BBeza
New Contributor I

Any updates on this? I was hoping to see something among the new documentation, but the Product Brief is unchanged and the new Edison Compute Module Hardware Guide makes no mention of temperature.

RWils4
New Contributor I

I had it outside at -40C in alaska. Battery was the only thing that seemed to have a problem at those temps.

VVorn
New Contributor II

Thanks for providing valuable feedback! It is a bit sad that it takes so long to get official statements. But -40C sounds great

idata
Community Manager

Hey,

If you can help, I have some edison installed in a desert from 4-5 months and they work great. The outdoor temperature reach 50 °C.

I hope it is helpful!

Thror