Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor II

PWRBTN# : Connect to VSYS or 1.8V?

Jump to solution

The documentation says:

"Every Intel® Edison I/O (with the exception of USB) uses 1.8 V signaling."

However, the Arduino Breakout Board (the big one) schematics show, that PWRBTN# has been tied to VSYS (3.3V).

Additionally as far as I remember intel diego also wrote somewhere that if the PWRBTN# functionality is not being used this Pin should be connected to VSYS since it is active low.

So: Is the documentation wrong here?

Furthermore I want to point out that still very important information is missing within the hard user guide. Please include the following information within the next release:

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Hello IntelAnonymous,

The documentation is correct, every I/O uses 1.8V signaling. However it seems that the PWRBTN# input tolerates higher values (VSYS). In older posts I mentioned that the PWRBTN# pin has to be connected to VSYS because I used the schematic as reference. I double checked that the PWRBTN# is tied to VSYS by measuring its voltage value. You can measure its value as well. The Test Point (TP) 17 is the one connected to the PWRBTN# pin. Its voltage should be 4.35V approx. which is the same value as VSYS. The VSYS test point is TP1. These test points are at the back side of the board.

I will pass your suggestion of including the information of the links you pointed to the team in charge of the documentation. Thank you for the feedback.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello IntelAnonymous,

The documentation is correct, every I/O uses 1.8V signaling. However it seems that the PWRBTN# input tolerates higher values (VSYS). In older posts I mentioned that the PWRBTN# pin has to be connected to VSYS because I used the schematic as reference. I double checked that the PWRBTN# is tied to VSYS by measuring its voltage value. You can measure its value as well. The Test Point (TP) 17 is the one connected to the PWRBTN# pin. Its voltage should be 4.35V approx. which is the same value as VSYS. The VSYS test point is TP1. These test points are at the back side of the board.

I will pass your suggestion of including the information of the links you pointed to the team in charge of the documentation. Thank you for the feedback.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Novice

Hi DiegoV_Intel,

Can you confirm me that an 0 to 1.8V signaling and not an "0 to VSYS (3.3V on my board) signaling" can be ok to control the pwrbtn# pin? I already have measured this pin and it seems, as you said, there's 4.4V. In a new custom design, I have pulled down with a 10k resistor the pwrbtn# pin by default to prevent boot and this pin is controlled by a FPGA at 1.8V for the boot controlling.

Many thanks in advance!

Regards

Mikael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello asknt,

In both expansion boards: Arduino expansion board and Mini-breakout board, the PWRBTN# pin is tied to VSYS with a pull-up resistor, so I can't confirm if a 1.8V signal would have the same effect. I guess the only way to know if it works, would be to try it. Another option I can think of for your custom board is to add a voltage translator for this signal. The following is a 1-bit bidirectional voltage-level translator; you might find it useful for your project: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/txs0101.pdf http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/txs0101.pdf

Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks for the answer Diego,

effectively I already see/measure on the breakout & arduino boards that this pin is pulled up to VSYS. I wonder that the datasheet only say all I/Os are at 1.8 logic but PWRBTN# . It's a bit dangerous when designing custom boards, hehe! I will tie this pin to another FPGA bank which is at 3.3V logic with the same pull down.

Regards

Mikael

0 Kudos