Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Password for Telnet (with Yoctos on SD card)

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I am facing a strange problem with my Galileo.

When I run it without the SD card, I can connect over Telnet (using a sketch launching "telnetd") being root and without password.

When I use the SD card with Yoctos on it, I can not connect via Telnet, because the shell keeps asking me the password for root. I tried everything I had in mind (root, admin, password, etc....)

Here is what I get on the telnet console

Poky 9.0.2 (Yocto Project 1.4 Reference Distro) 1.4.2 clanton

clanton login: root

Password:

Login incorrect

Password:

Login incorrect

Password:

Login incorrect

Password:

Login incorrect

so the question is very stupid and simple : what is the password for Telnet ?

(Yes, I know that I can use SSH... and it works with SSH without any password. But I hate to find this kind of things and no knowing why it does not work )

Thanks

Benoit

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Hello BenKissBox,

I've just connected to Galileo's terminal via Telnet with no issues. Could you please let me know how you connected via Telnet?

Please check below the steps I did to connect via Telnet:

• Then, based on this thread: , I ran the following commands in the console session:

telnetd -l /bin/sh

ifconfig eth0 169.254.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 up

• At this point the eth0 interface should be configured. You can run the command ifconfig eth0 to make sure the IP address and the netmask were set properly.
  • Open another PuTTY session and connect via Telnet. Use the IP address that you just entered to configure the eth0 interface. You should get access now. Check the screenshot below. I didn't have to enter a login nor a password.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello BenKissBox,

I've just connected to Galileo's terminal via Telnet with no issues. Could you please let me know how you connected via Telnet?

Please check below the steps I did to connect via Telnet:

• Then, based on this thread: , I ran the following commands in the console session:

telnetd -l /bin/sh

ifconfig eth0 169.254.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 up

• At this point the eth0 interface should be configured. You can run the command ifconfig eth0 to make sure the IP address and the netmask were set properly.
  • Open another PuTTY session and connect via Telnet. Use the IP address that you just entered to configure the eth0 interface. You should get access now. Check the screenshot below. I didn't have to enter a login nor a password.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hello Diego,

thank you for your investigation and your answer. To answer your different questions:

- I made the test on a Gen 1, not a Gen 2 (maybe it explains the difference, but I am convinced it's not the case)

- I just run a basic sketch with the following commands on the setup() function

system("ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.0.150 netmask 255.255.255.0 up");

system ("telnetd");

in order to have a static IP address and the telnet daemon running

- I connect using the Mac OS Telnet client program. The problem occurs when I enter the command "open 192.168.0.50", I get the screenshot I reported just over there (asking me for a password)

Benoit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Hi Benoit,

I think the problem is in the commands you are using:

system("ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.0.150 netmask 255.255.255.0 up");

system ("telnetd");

More specifically, I'm using

system ("telnetd -l /bin/sh");

I'm also using a little bit different command to "start" eth0, but it should not be a problem because you reported the ssh is working.

HTH,

Fernando.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello BenKissBox,

You mentioned that the issue only happens when booting the Galileo from the SD card Yocto image. What image are you using? I tested the Telnet connection using the following image: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2 http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2. Please try with that image to see if you get different results.

And as FGT suggested, use the following lines in your Arduino sketch:

system("telnetd -l /bin/sh");

system("ifconfig eth0 169.254.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 up");

And add the following lines to check the eth0 interface settings in the Serial Monitor:

delay(3000);

system("ifconfig eth0 > /dev/ttyGS0");

Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I don't have the SD Card image installed right now. But in most linux OS's there is a default setting to deny telnet access for root. This is because, as you know telnet traffic is transmitted in clear text . Since the root user is obviously a privileged account you would not use telnet for that user.

Look for a file in /etc called login, see if root is denied.

As an example on the iot dev kit the file is /etc/login.access

Cheers,

-Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

@

joe-iot wrote:

I don't have the SD Card image installed right now. But in most linux OS's there is a default setting to deny telnet access for root. This is because, as you know telnet traffic is transmitted in clear text . Since the root user is obviously a privileged account you would not use telnet for that user.

Look for a file in /etc called login, see if root is denied.

As an example on the iot dev kit the file is /etc/login.access

Cheers,

-Joe

Hmmm... then we are using different yocto images... at the very least: I'm able to use telnet as described above (and which Diego has verified too).

Take into account that, as pointed out in another thread ( ):

There is a yocto intended to be used with XDK: "You can boot your Intel® Galileo board using a micro SD card that contains the latest Intel® IoT Developer Kit version of the Yocto* built, Linux image." (https://software.intel.com/en-us/programming-blank-sd-card-with-yocto-linux-image-windows Making a bootable micro SD Card with Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone) and there is an image not related to XDK, just intemded to be used for (Arduino) sketch persistency (maybe among other tasks I do not know about), so it is not necessary to have anything related to SDK-IoT Dev. Kit, etc., and which is the one I'm using and Diego suggested and included the link to.

About security... well... that's "beyond the scope" any analysis I could make right now...

HTH,

Fernando.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Well it was just a guess I am not using the SDCard.1.0.4.tar.gz right now. I am using the file iot-devkit-latest-mmcblkp0.direct which has those config options.

Cheers,

-Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hello all,

thank you to Diego and FGT, your proposal were the right one.

If I use system("telnet -l /bin/sh"), I am able to log from a Telnet client without any problem (the Galileo does not ask anymore for login and password)

Benoit

0 Kudos