cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Patch Edison Sound driver without flashing Complete Kernel

Hi,

I would like to test a small modification in one of the I2S audio drivers without doing the whole development cycle and reflashing. I am not familiar with Linux Kernel development.

I have read http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005616.html Board Support Package (BSP) User Guide for Boards and Kits and http://shawnhymel.com/724/creating-a-custom-linux-kernel-for-the-edison-yocto-2-1/ Creating a Custom Linux Kernel for the Edison (release 2.1) | Shawn Hymel but both is a long way for a small change in only one driver.

Also I would like to keep my user data and installations. I tried the --keep-data option but the flashAll.sh from the build does not contain this option.

Thanks for all help.

8 Replies
Highlighted
Employee
1 View

Re: Patch Edison Sound driver without flashing Complete Kernel

Hi freedy,

What kind of modification do you want to do? You can find the source files while building the image but you don't have access to those files while interacting with the board through the Terminal Console so you may need to build the image

Which is the driver you want to edit?

The available options for the flashall.sh script are:

-h,--help display this help and exit.

-v verbose output

--recovery recover the board to DFU mode using a dedicated tool,

available only on linux and window hosts.

Regards,

Charlie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
1 View

Hi freedy,

I would like to know if you have been able to work on this.

Have you tried to build a new image with the changes you wanted?

Regards,

Charlie

Highlighted
Novice
1 View

I am able to build the kernel, but flashing the board would mean loosing all my installations, configurations I did. I can redo that, but that means long turn around times.

What I want to do is: I would like to connect a ICS43432 I2S Digital Microphone. For now I would just do modifications in the merr_dpcm_dummy.c file. First try would be to change LE to BE.

There should not be many changes to the dummy driver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
1 View

Hi freedy,

Have you tried to do the changes and compile the driver on the image? If this is not working for you, I suggest you the following:

1. Create a backup of your image

2. Build a new image with the changes you need on the source files of the driver

3. Flash your custom image in the board

4. Restore the backup you have saved.

Regards,

Charlie

Highlighted
1 View

not necessarily need to reflash everything. I sometimes just build a kernel package and opkg install it in the live system. Just make sure to update everything (especially also the modules). Don't forget the "modprobe -a" to regenerate the modules database. If everything went fine you should be on your new kernel after a reboot. Note: no guarantee that you won't break your installation using this approach. If you did then you'd have to reflash.

Highlighted
Employee
1 View

Hi freedy,

I would like to know if you have tried with one of the alternatives we have suggested. Let us know if you have been able to work on this.

Regards,

Charlie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice
1 View

edit: the backup did work, so thanks for this, now I will go on trying to deploy single linux modules.

The problem below was due to having unknown partitions on the sdcard.

tried to do a backup, but I get

/media/sdcard# dd if=/dev//mmcblk0 of=backup20160218 bs=1M dd: writing 'backup20160218': No space left on device

14+0 records in

12+1 records out

when I try to fdisk:

fdisk /media/sdcard/

'/media/sdcard/' is opened for read only

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
1 View

Hi freedy,

I'm glad to know that the backup worked for you.

Regards,

Charlie

0 Kudos