Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSams1
New Contributor I

Possible to implement thermal throttling?

From everything I can see about these things, the operation of the fan is particularly critical. I.e., when the device gets hot, the only mechanism for mitigating that heat, is the fan.

Portable devices, like smartphones and tablets, respond to excessive heat, by limiting their maximum CPU frequency and eventually shutting cores off, one at a time, until the heat generation is lower than the heat dissipation.

I think that this would be a better approach than the little fan on these things, or should at least be an additional method of heat mitigation. First off, its a pretty cheap little fan that probably won't last very long. Second, the noise it makes is highly annoying.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ASchu9
Beginner

Thermal throttling is part of the Z3735F spec, the CPU in the Stick. In fact, the processor can only maintain full speed for a short time under full heat load before it has to throttle.

For there to be adequate performance, the fan has to be present with this tiny form factor.

JSams1
New Contributor I

If that were the case, then what is with all the complaints of it getting crashy if the fan fails?

ASchu9
Beginner

Because the fan is part of the heat dispersion design. With very little surface area to work with something actively needs to be moving heat out of the stick. No amount of throttling will cool it enough and yet deliver enough performance to run Windows or Linux.

Smartphones and tablets are much larger than this stick and therefore more passive cooling is possible.

Finally, Intel is still playing catchup in this arena. Smartphones and tablets typically use ARM based processors.

JSams1
New Contributor I

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

"enough performance"? To... WHAT? This is a completely meaningless and absurd claim.

Yeah sure, some smartphones and tablets use arm. Some don't.

Also should be pointed out that the fan on this doesn't run all the time, which means that it CAN operate at a low enough rate to not need active cooling.

Please do not respond to me any more, since doing so sabotages any thread you participate in with meaningless drivel.

ASchu9
Beginner

Your opinion of what I wrote is amusing.

Have a good day.

ASchu9
Beginner

Thermal throttling is already implemented. Your request is the thing that sounds dumb.