cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AWald1
Beginner

Power On / Sleep / Hibernation / Blue Light

Hi,

I apologise if this has been asked and answered - after some research it seems the queries have probably been raised in this forum in the past, but given we are some 2 years on I was wanting to know if anything had changed. I purchased the STK1AW32SC (x5-z8330) to use in a TV (mounted on a wall). I also have a Logitech K400 Pro Wireless Touch Keyboard (via USB dongle). After initial power on, I have done Windows Updates (so now on W10 1803 (still W10 Home 32-bit)), BIOS is v40 and all drivers are up to date.

I assumed (bad mistake) prior to purchase that I would be able to put the device to sleep and wake it from a keyboard press (or mouse movement), but that does not seem to be the case. Could anyone help by answering the following queries:

1) Is there a way to have the device set up so that you do not have to hit the power on button (device now in TV mounted) to activate it (other than leaving the device on)? So is there anything that would allow Sleep mode (or hibernation if you could have power on from wireless (connected via USB dongle) keyboard)?

2) I would be ok to leave the device powered on if there was a way to turn off the 'blue light' which makes a glow at night (other than putting some tape over it) which is annoying when trying to sleep. Is there a setting to disable the light?

Current product specs:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/computestick/STK1AW32SC_STK1... https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/computestick/STK1AW32SC_STK1...

on p15 seems to indicate there is a G1 / S4 suspend to disk mode - I assume this is hibernation (although in power setting I can't see a hibernation option)

and p16 seems to indicate there are no wake up event options - ie your only option is the power button

Interestingly in the table on P15 (last column for power) there is an *2 next to the S4 and S4 options which links to: Dependent on the standby power consumption of wake-up devices used in the system (which seems to indicate you could use a wake up device), but the next table then indicates there are no wake up devices (so why have the *2).

Other than the above, it seems to do exactly what I was after.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Anthony

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, we *love* answering questions that have been asked before. It make us look smarter!

Ok, I have examples of all versions of the Compute Stick (ICS) running and all of them are configured to *never* sleep and to *never* turn off the monitor. Now, in those that came with Windows 10 preinstalled, I believe that this was the default. Regardless, this is a perfectly fine way to operate it.

You can also configure, via a parameter in BIOS Setup, that the ICS should automatically power itself on when power is restored. By using this setting, it will ensure that the ICS is always ready to go when you switch to it (give or take a login password). I personally don't like this feature (I like to control (sequence) power on myself), but I am not putting my ICS behind a TV (I have them plugged into a KVM for testing) and it makes perfect sense to have this feature enabled when you do.

Hope this helps,

...S

AWald1
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the quick reply.

So to summarise:

• you leave it on - I have no issues with this other that the blue light remaining on - can this be turned off?, or
  • change BIOS so it powers on automatically when you switch the power on
    • so if I am going to switch the power on (given it is in the TV) I may as well hit the power button on the device - my preference is to not have to go to the tv to turn the ICS on.
    • I think this may work if you could draw power from the TV USB (which I thought you would be able to do - ie similar to Chromecast), but I thought I read somewhere else (instructions in the box) that you had to use the Intel charger that comes with the device? In any event, the TV generally enters standby rather than a full no power (not sure if USB still provides charge in standby or not - Sony KDL-55800B), so I don't know if turning the TV on would trigger the ICS to power itself on - I am reluctant to try as I don't want to blow it up!

Given one of the marketed use cases is for TV, do Intel have a suggested way for this to be set up (other than to hit the power button which is located on the ICS which is behind the TV)?

Thanks again for any input.

Kind regards,

Anthony

n_scott_pearson

1. Actually, I didn't say "or"; I meant "and". By setting the BIOS parameter to power on the ICS automatically when power is provided/restored AND disabling Sleep in Windows, you guarantee the ICS is always ready to go. By also disabling Monitor Sleep, the ICS will better handle you switching away from the ICS (to, for example, watch a DVD).

2. Unfortunately, the ICS requires more power than a USB port can provide. You definitely need to use the separate power adapter.

3. I think I answered this in # 1.

...S

GBong
Beginner

Hey Scott,

To briefly resurrect this slightly older thread, I've been searching around trying to find the BIOS setting to toggle my STK1AW32SC from auto powering on. Out-of-the-box this stick turns itself on when plugged in and, much like yourself, I'd really like to turn that off. The documentation also notes that the stick will power itself on when plugged in and with no mention of being able to disable that.

Do you know if that option to toggle the automatic powering-on of the device is specific to a particular model and/or BIOS version? Looking at the release notes for the past few BIOS updates I don't see mention of that particular feature being added, so I haven't looked any further into seeing whether my BIOS could stand to be updated.

Am I simply overlooking this setting in the BIOS every single time I try look for it?

This is a brand new STK1AW32SC, manufactured 08/2018, with Windows 10 preinstalled.

Any advice or experience in this matter?

Thanks!

Garth

n_scott_pearson

Garth,

First of all, are you running the latest available BIOS (SC0041.BIO)? If not, update to this BIOS before anything else.

Next, at restart or power on, use the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup. Click on the Configuration icon. In the parameters displayed, look for one labelled Power State. You want to set this parameter to Always Off. Exit from BIOS Setup saving the BIOS Configuration.

Now, you will find that, when power is restored, the unit will seem to power on (i.e. the blue LED will come on). After a few seconds, however, it will power itself back off. I am told that this little glitch cannot be avoided.

Hope this helps,

...S

GBong
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Not too long after I sent my message, I went back and re-re-re-checked the BIOS, and that's when I noticed the Power State option. I dunno, maybe I was looking for different wording. Regardless, I chose "always off", and that's that! Thank you for your help!

My guess is that I'm not running SC0041.BIO. My BIOS version string reads as "SCCHTAX5.86A.0040.2018.0313.1442"

My assumption is that the 0040 in there should probably be 0041.

I'll look at the updated BIOS and see what the docs have to say about upgrading.

Thanks again!

Garth