Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Novice

Power and control drone motors with Intel Edison and Arduino board.

Jump to solution

I want to control the drone with Intel Edison and its Arduino expansion board. but it seems like powering the motors with just Arduino board will be a bad idea, can anyone tell me which will be the best way to control and power it? Or any such hardware exists that will be in middle of Edison and motors? I don't want to make an RC aircraft, just an automated program controlled drone for a specific task.

Thanks

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Generally you will require dedicated hardware to drive the motors.

So you will need

1. acquire suitable motor drivers for your motor type and its power levels.
  2. connect the drivers to suitable power (usually separate from the controller)
  3. connect the drivers to suitable pins on the Arduino expansion board
  4. Program the MCU to drive the pins appropriately
  5. Develop I/O interfaces for any sensors you need
  6. Develop a UI to send commands to the MCU, set speed, forward, adjust yaw ... etc etc.

The Linux portion of the Edison is not ideal as a sole environment for things like drones, it is generally non-deterministic and the operations it directs can be interrupted. Not something you want during a critical manoeuver.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Generally you will require dedicated hardware to drive the motors.

So you will need

1. acquire suitable motor drivers for your motor type and its power levels.
  2. connect the drivers to suitable power (usually separate from the controller)
  3. connect the drivers to suitable pins on the Arduino expansion board
  4. Program the MCU to drive the pins appropriately
  5. Develop I/O interfaces for any sensors you need
  6. Develop a UI to send commands to the MCU, set speed, forward, adjust yaw ... etc etc.

The Linux portion of the Edison is not ideal as a sole environment for things like drones, it is generally non-deterministic and the operations it directs can be interrupted. Not something you want during a critical manoeuver.

View solution in original post