cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LBjor
Novice

Powering BLKSTK2mv64CC with non-original charger

Hi all,

I have a project where I'm hoping to use the BLKSTK2mv64CC, stick with Intel M5. Now the problem that I have is that this unit needs to be run off a battery and not off the included wall adapter. I've tried using several different USB adapters that are rated for 3A or more, but the unit keeps restarting as described here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005927.html Issues When Using USB Ports to Power the Intel® Compute Stick. In no case does it work with a USB 2.0/3.0 A cable to USB C.

My question is: how does the stick differentiate between a capable USB port and a non-capable port that endlessly restarts the machine? It seems like it can't be just any charger, because it doesn't work with other high quality charger like an Apple 5V/2.4A. How can I make it work with a charger that's powerful enough?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

AV-Lars: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Compute Stick communities.

In order to provide the most accurate response, I will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates on this regard I will post all the information on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

GGrov
Novice

I am also super interested in the answer to this question.

Gunleik
idata
Community Manager

AV-Lars: I just wanted to let you know that I just got an update on this subject. We actually tested the Intel® compute stick in our lab with the original power supply and after set Windows properly in power settings to never sleep and never turn off, the monitor stays on.

As you mentioned previously and as it is described on the link above, if you are using a USB to power the stick, for the screen to go off is expected. Since we recommend to use the unit at stock configurations, this scenario has not been tested by Intel, so we cannot provide a model or a type of charger that we can confirm to work as you expected.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Gunleik_Groven: I hope this information was useful for you as well.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

GGrov
Novice

So the essential answer is that it is not possible to power the stick from any other source than an USB-C wall converter?

At least that is a clear answer, though it makes the brilliant little computer totally unusable to us, which is unfortunate.

Can I urge you to look at this for future revisions. It's such an obvious little machine to build into "stuff" to drive "things".

An m7 version wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for your reply

LBjor
Novice

Thank you for your answer.

Can you please give me any insight in how it concludes that a power source is valid or not? Does it communicate with the charger? Does it look at the voltage on the data lines to get info on how much current it can draw, like in USB 2/3? Which pins are in use? These are very specific and more technical questions, but I hope you can look into it or forward them to someone who might have an answer. I surely understand why you would make such a constraint for consumers, but for our intended use it's a deal breaker. And we would of course be using a power source that's more than ample for the task.

We are looking at using the stick for an embedded system for a very specific task. We've tested the stick and everything is perfect besides the power issue. If we resolve this we are looking at getting another 100+ devices. Our alternatives at this point would be a much larger single board computer, which I really hope we can prevent.

Thanks again for all your insight and your time.

GGrov
Novice

To follow up on Lars, this is likely a BIOS issue, as the (understandable for the intended purpose) limitation is introduced through a BIOS update, and could probably be surpassed through a BIOS update allowing those who are not scared to wet their feet, power their sticks in alternate ways.

Ideally it would be good to have a way to hard-wire the power to a small PSU

idata
Community Manager

AV-Lars: You are welcome. I will try to gather all the details you are asking for. We will continue with the research on this subject. As soon as I get any information I will post it on the thread.

Regards,

Alberto R

LBjor
Novice

Alberto,

Thanks for your time and help. We currently have a hack/workaround, so the matter is no longer as pressing but I would like an update if you were to get one.

Thanks again

idata
Community Manager

AV-Lars: You are welcome. Thank you very much for sharing that information.

I sent you a private message, please check your inbox.

Regards,

Alberto R

idata
Community Manager

AV-Lars: I just wanted to check if you received the private message and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R