Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NATHAN_P_Intel
Employee

Problems with Galileo Gen 2 digital ouput frequency on pin 8

I was having problems moving my stepper motor fast enough on pin 8 on Galileo Gen 2. It looked like the output pin was not able to toggle faster than about 200 μs (=400 μs period =2.5kHz). I didn't check with an osilliscope, but I wasn't able control my stepper motor driver beyond that frequency. It worked fine on Arduino Uno, and also when I switch to another pin on Galileo, it works fine (right now I'm using pins 6 and 10). Does anyone know why this would happen?

Tags (1)
5 Replies
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi MrPrezident,

It's is possible that this is happening because pins 7 and 8 of the Galileo are not connected directly to Quark, so you won't get the same response as with the rest of the pins (in fact, you're not having troubles with pins 6 and 10). You can try using pin 7 to see if you get the same result as with pin 8.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

NATHAN_P_Intel
Employee

Hmm.. I will try pin 7. How do you know that pins 7 and 8 are not connected directly to Quark? I don't see any info like that in the Galileo Datasheet.

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi MrPrezident,

You can check that information in the Galileo Gen 2 schematic. You can find the link attached below:

http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/CS-035168.htm http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/CS-035168.htm.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

NATHAN_P_Intel
Employee

Apparently my schematic reading skills are not up to par. I can't make heads or tails of this. Here are the GPIO from sheet 6. Which pins correspond to pins 7 and 8?

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi MrPrezident,

Is your question still related to the connection of the IO pins 7 and 8? If that's the case I would suggest you to take a look at the Block Diagram from page 4, as it is clearer when it comes to show this information.

There you can see how both pins (IO7, IO8) are connected to "GPIO Exp", unlike the rest of the IO pins.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel